Vtec not kickin'

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

assman

my cousin has a integra with a b16 swap, and now the vtec isnt kicking in, hes using a pr3 ECU, the vtec did work... and i know for sure, the vtec isnt kicking in, cuz i have the same set up in my teg, and i can tell the difference, anywho, IMO its either the solenoid or some kind of burnt wire... anyone have any input? also if you could can u tell me how to correct to problem for him? the shop said to fix it it would be between $150-$200 im just wondering if theres maybe something i can try b4 it comes to that... or is the shop my best bet?

Double check to make sure all the wires are connected and there not cut somewhere in the line! Try a voltage tester! Also Is the speedo hooked up if not vtec will not work! I had problems with my vtec not engaging.. when I swapped my motors and took of my v-afc! so I hooked up my vtec controller and now it works! good luck!

its not kicking in period.. .. well i cnat hear/feel it... how could i tell if its kicking in but not putting power?

he doenst have a vafc... so iono

Originally posted by rudeludenotmeanthough@Sep 1 2003, 01:25 AM
is vtec not kicking in, or is it not putting out any power?..

yeah i know, it either does or it doesnt, but iono what this fo0 is trying to say :p

on many STOCK chips, the transition from non=vtec to vtec is very smooth, and can be missed easily.

You should try splicing a 12v lightbulb from radioshack in line with the vtec solenoid signal. If you see it light up, you know the ECU is happy with what's going on. If you are still positive you aren't getting vtec, then in all likelyhood you have a bad solenoid. If you do NOT see it light up, the ECU is not happy. If the ECU is not throwing codes, then you probably have a toasted transistor in the ECU. If the ECU is throwing codes, fix the codes and in all likelyhood vtec will engage on the code-free ECU.

Originally posted by blundar@Sep 1 2003, 04:15 PM
on many STOCK chips, the transition from non=vtec to vtec is very smooth, and can be missed easily.

You should try splicing a 12v lightbulb from radioshack in line with the vtec solenoid signal. If you see it light up, you know the ECU is happy with what's going on. If you are still positive you aren't getting vtec, then in all likelyhood you have a bad solenoid. If you do NOT see it light up, the ECU is not happy. If the ECU is not throwing codes, then you probably have a toasted transistor in the ECU. If the ECU is throwing codes, fix the codes and in all likelyhood vtec will engage on the code-free ECU.

i agree the light kits pretty cool also and gives the car a nice little effect :D

Back