vtec not working please help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

matthewoleschuk

hi i recently just join in hopes of fining some help. i just put a skunk2 IM and TB on my 98 civic (d16y8) after a week of messing around i finally got my erratic idle taken care of but now i am trying to figure out the bigger problem. my vtec is kicking in at 6500 rpm instead of 5400rpm. what would cause this. i just did an oil change hoping that might have been the problem but it wasnt. the check engine light hasnt came on and the car is running perfect. i am just pissed because i am missing out on that extra vtec power and that beautiful sound. please help it would be greatly appreciated

what other mods do you hafe in the car? if you just have the im and tb and no exhaust done you will not here your vtek until you are almost in redline. the reason for this is bc your car is breathing fast than it can exhale all the gases.

i have done a CAI TB IM headers exhaust. before i put on the TB and IM i could here the vtec kick in just fine. i just took off the solenoid and eveything looked fine and it had a bit of oil in it and screen was clean also i put the factory TB on to see if there was any difference and there wasnt. i am going to get a multimeter and make sure i have a good current going to the solwnoid

ok, check to see if you get any current, on some cars when you put bolt ons they tend to loose that beautiful vtek noise until they lmost hit vtek. just bc you cant here the vtek kick in doesnt mean something is worng with it. on the skunk2 mannies i kow that they are goo on the mid range power so this mightbe the problem on you not hereing the vtek kicking in.

well it seems as though i can hear it coming on at 6500 rpm i need to find a way to no whether it is coming on or not at the right rpm

best thing to do is wire a light from radio shack into the ecu wiring harness where the vtek port is ant have some one ride in the passanger seat and drive your car and have them tell you when the light turns on and see where your rpms are at and that will tell you when vtek hits

Its a SOHC. The VTEC crossover isn't nearly as noticeable as in any of the DOHC VTEC motors. The parts you have recently added may have changed the tone/pitch of the motor. But, its always a good idea to be sure. Have you even noticed a change in needle movement? When VTEC kicks in the RPM's should increase at a slightly higher rate. Other than that, its pretty hard to tell on a SOHC.

best thing to do is wire a light from radio shack into the ecu wiring harness where the vtek port is ant have some one ride in the passanger seat and drive your car and have them tell you when the light turns on and see where your rpms are at and that will tell you when vtek hits

time to come back to HS science lets wire up a circuit,, but it works...:D
he wont know when the VTEK kick in ,cuz there isnt any VTEK ...he would find the VTEC:D

i hooked a up a light directly spliced into the wire connected to solenoid and it came on right at 5500 rpm. now does this mean it is working for sure or can there still be power going to it even though the solenoid might not be kicking in or is this power there when it does activate

i hooked a up a light directly spliced into the wire connected to solenoid and it came on right at 5500 rpm. now does this mean it is working for sure or can there still be power going to it even though the solenoid might not be kicking in or is this power there when it does activate

hey now go to sleep cuz ur vtec is working lol
:rolleyes:

Back