VTEC On a switch

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

t.y. civic boy thats exactly what i want i just need to know how to hook it up

If you're going to go to the trouble of wiring up a switch, then I'd just go ahead and wire it up to a light first. You may think that it's not working, but technically you don't know. I had a single-cam VTEC Accord, and I could never tell when VTEC came on...it's just not that noticeable on single-cam engines...

Go to Advance Auto or whatever they call it in the states. Get a button switch, it will come with instructions, hook one end up to a power source and hook the other end up to the VTEC solenoid.

You could probable get by without hooking up VTEC at all and not running your car over 4000 RPM, which I would highly suggest until you hook it properly.

You should get a P28 ECU and hook it up properly because the P06 ECU doesn't have the VTEC and timing maps for the Z6 head, it will cause some harm to the motor over time with abuse.

Last edited:
Go to Advance Auto or whatever they call it in the states. Get a button switch, it will come with instructions, hook one end up to a power source and hook the other end up to the VTEC solenoid.

You could probable get by without hooking up VTEC at all and not running your car over 4000 RPM, which I would highly suggest until you hook it properly.

You should get a P28 ECU and hook it up properly because the P06 ECU doesn't have the VTEC and timing maps for the Z6 head, it will cause some harm to the motor over time with abuse. (Improper VTEC and timing maps)

good answer!
this kid knows his shit

i have a p28 well i will just test the light therory first i do apologize for my stupid antics but honestly i just expect some stuff to work you know but i guess having the dx wire harness is screwing me overi am actually considering getting another harness if this is not cleared up but thank you guys

i have a p28 well i will just test the light therory first i do apologize for my stupid antics but honestly i just expect some stuff to work you know but i guess having the dx wire harness is screwing me overi am actually considering getting another harness if this is not cleared up but thank you guys
Adding a couple of VTEC plugs will be much easire than puting the EX/Si harness on. Did you run the three wires from the ECU to the VTEC solenoid? Actually the black wire on the pressure switch goes to a ground. I'm also assuming you're running the D16Z6 distributor.

another question off topic i do apologize but what id i were to get a obd-0 b16 could i just use the p28 ecu and distributor and turn it into obd-1? if not what other parts would be needed my boy has a b16obdo and a hydro ls trans at his shop i just wanted to see if this would work because i can get both for 500 bucks.

and yes i have the z6 distributor and all that and yes i ran the two wires to the ecu but its balls slow and i have a full exhast intake like i see no difference between when it was non vtec till now

i mean its all timed right i have it advanced just 1 degree speed sensor works all of it i mean it just makes no sense

but your car is a dx.. so you should be using the dx harness.. as was already said vtec is supposed to be a smooth crossover on an engine thats running properly, so it's possible your just not hearing it but its actually working fine. also vtec only affects the intake valves on sohc engines, not the exhaust valves as well like on a b-series engine. thats why on b engines it is a much more noticeable transition. If you run a temporary wire to the vtec solenoid and hook it up to a multimeter atleast you can determine if in fact its activating or not. If its not then go from there.

putting a button isn't the fix for the real problem at hand here. It's also very dumb and will be annoying as hell to use correctly.

diagnoss the problem further.

you must have something wired up wrong.

another question off topic i do apologize but what id i were to get a obd-0 b16 could i just use the p28 ecu and distributor and turn it into obd-1? if not what other parts would be needed my boy has a b16obdo and a hydro ls trans at his shop i just wanted to see if this would work because i can get both for 500 bucks.
Short answer: its very hard.:) I shouldn't say that but if you want more info start a new thread.

Correct me if Im wrong, but wont the ECU still stop VTEC from engaging even if you hook the solenoid up to a manual switch? That is, assuming the VTEC is in fact not working already.

Also, if you were able to get the solenoid to engage, if the ECU is kept out of the cycle then your maps are all gunna be fuct. Correct?

Well if VTEC or anything for that matter isn't working I think he should get a CEL. Idk. though, just assuming. But then again even on a single cam if you listen very carefully you should hear something between 4000 and 5000 RPM.

Have you tried hooking up a light or multi-meter to the VTEC solenoid wire yet?

still cant hear vtec engage eh? try rolling down your windows and turning the radio down. maybe that'll help you.

You can hear the vtec hit in if you have a good intake, that and if you know what your listening for. but on the other note. you harness.. did you just happen to find yourself a ex/si engine harness, plug in a p28 and expect vtec to work?

if your still running that dx under dash harness. if im correct. the only year that vtec wires were included into the dx dash harness was 92 only. your running a 95, so your problem could be more of the fact, your car is only set up half way for vtec.

That is accurate. if the ecu isn't telling vtec to turn on then bypassing the ecu and activating it by switch will not change the fuel maps or timing. and nope the ecu can't stop you from activiating it if you bypass the ecu altogether and run a wire right to the solenoid.

It would not be hard to use an obd0 b16. you cannot use the p28 though, its for a the d16z6 which is sohc, not dohc. now if you get the p28 chipped with b16 maps or find an obd1 jdm b16 ecu then that would work. you would also need the obd1 dizzy obviously. and then swap out the obd0 b16 injectors for the injectors that are in your z6 now. then for wiring you'll need this...
http://rywire.com/store/9295-civic-....html?osCsid=14f0e52075de847ff06e756fdbc778a7

granted you need a bunch of other things to do a b-series swap, but the fact that the b16 is obd0 doesnt make it much harder than if it had been obd1.

Last edited:
Back