vtec or cams

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

shitegra93

:( hey whats up guys im runnin a 93 integra LS. would i get more power from doing an LS/Vtec conversion or from installing new cams. which would have more of a power gain? how much horsepower would each mod gain?

ls/vtec would be like getting new cams, valves, springs, retainers and port and polish for the head.

Cams would change your power band increasing hp but not nearly as much as a head swap.

If you don't mind the extra work and tuning, then ls/vtec would be much betterfor power and overall improvement of the engine.

You will get more power from the ls/vtec conversion, but it is definetly more expensive. When you consider all the things you would need to complete it. If your looking for good power, keep the ls as it is and boost it with some good fuel management. I recommend crome pro since you already have a obd1 setup. You will make more power this way then just about any daily driven all motor ls/vtec. Good luck^_^

well how much horsepower would i gain just by upgrading my cams?

well how much horsepower would i gain just by upgrading my cams?
depends on what stage cams. if you do a stage 1, you can use your stock valve train. usually stage 2 and above you will need to replace your valves, springs, and retainers and it will cost a lot more.

if you go with something like a skunk2 stage 1, only expect about 10 whp.

even with a rediculous cam profile the gains aren't that impressive comparing it to turbocharging or ls/vtec
cams are good to be added to an engine that has a direction. what do you want?? High rpm power or good low end torque, and remember that you could achieve both of these with a vtec head. more costly but beyond getting the head which could range $250 - $600 depending on luck, type, and where you buy it, most of the cost is little bits that'll add up but can be completed over time. it's worth that time and effort.

that all being said, I turbo ed my LS and i love it. i like the feeling of hitting boost and then everything just becomes more fast and fun.

Last edited:
how much horsepower would possibly add if i were to put a b16 on my LS block then?

okay dude since you have have and ob1 set up i would find a gsr head and get it ported and polished are you gonna run an after market intake manifold bc if you are you don't have to get the head portede and polished bc the head will get as much air flow as the b16 but the stock wall on the gsr are stronger and you can do alot more head work witha gsr than you can with a b16

I just wanted to say I dont believe in throwing a vtec head on a stock ls block. First off the rods are sissy and you dont really have shit for compression either. What is it like about 9.5 to 1 or so. Plus by the time you buy everything you need; vtec dizzy, the head, conversion kit, head studs, vtec computer, and the wiring and labor- if you cant perform the work yourself. It isnt worth the money plus you have to figure in without a vtec transmission its going to be slow as hell with the ls transmission. Boost a safe 8-10 pounds and you will laugh at the idea that you even considered doing the ls/vtec with stock bottom end. Trust me I have seen 100 people come into the shop I work at wanting to do the same thing. When they see the power they can get from boosting the ls they are stunned. The only time I feel building the ls/vtec is only worth the money when you already have a si or something with a dohc vtec and vtec transmission, and you are able to throw a built ls block under it for a reasonable price.

I just wanted to say I dont believe in throwing a vtec head on a stock ls block. First off the rods are sissy and you dont really have shit for compression either. What is it like about 9.5 to 1 or so. Plus by the time you buy everything you need; vtec dizzy, the head, conversion kit, head studs, vtec computer, and the wiring and labor- if you cant perform the work yourself. It isnt worth the money plus you have to figure in without a vtec transmission its going to be slow as hell with the ls transmission. Boost a safe 8-10 pounds and you will laugh at the idea that you even considered doing the ls/vtec with stock bottom end. Trust me I have seen 100 people come into the shop I work at wanting to do the same thing. When they see the power they can get from boosting the ls they are stunned. The only time I feel building the ls/vtec is only worth the money when you already have a si or something with a dohc vtec and vtec transmission, and you are able to throw a built ls block under it for a reasonable price.
i agree

Finally, someone who knows what im talking about. Horray for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is true, tha LS is a great engine to boost and the kick in the pants @ 4000 rpm is alot heftier.

i paid $900 for a wrecked LS
and another $600 to boost after tuning, but i lucked out on the turbo stuff price wise

alright well back to the cams question. since vtec doesnt kick in till like what.....6 grand, then if i were to put like stage one cams in my LS then wouldnt i be able to hang with a vtec? because i would basically be runnin more horse before there were to hit vtec mode. so i would basically always be in "vtec" i know that it wouldnt add as much HP as a vtec would, but u see what im sayin, sorry this question is kinda confusing

well once they hit vtec it will stay there the whole race if they shift right, but vtec comes in at diffrent rpms anywere from 4800-5800,, depends on the motor and if its chiped

Its not just a matter of cam also. The design of the vtec head outflows the ls regardless of the cams. That is the main reason for large increase in horsepower. If the ls head had the potential to flow as much air at the same velocity vtec heads would be worthless almost.

I had Crower Stage 2 cams in my LS and then went to a LS/VTEC after I bent 14 of my 16 valves. The LS was alot torquier (if thats a word) I think I put down 146hp and something like 122tq. Then I went to a LS/VTEC setup and went up to 150hp but alot less torque maybe like 115tq. It just depends what you want hp sells cars and torque wins races.

Back