Vtec problem still...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

kylelohrenz

Okay, just did a swap on a 97 civic with a OBD1 B16. I still have intermittent vtec. The motor is reaching temp and not throwing any codes. The car vtecs sometimes through three gears and then not the next at all. I metered wiring from the solenoid and the pressure switch to the ECU and meters perfect from pin to sensor. I replaced the thermostat because it was stuck open, still no steady vtec. Any suggestions? Thanks.

check the screen on the solenoid and clean it with some carb cleaner.

if you have an oil pressure gauge, what is it reading? usually intermittent vtec is caused by a clogged screen, lack of oil, or some kind of CEL.

What ecu/pcm are you using? Did you convert correctly from OBDII to OBDI? Is it a J-spec engine...Does it have the oil pressure sensor on the VTEC solenoid? My J-spec didn't but I also had the J-spec ecu that came with the engine so it wasnt looking for it.

What ecu/pcm are you using? Did you convert correctly from OBDII to OBDI? Is it a J-spec engine...Does it have the oil pressure sensor on the VTEC solenoid? My J-spec didn't but I also had the J-spec ecu that came with the engine so it wasnt looking for it.

I'm using an p30 with an obd conversion harness. It is a j-spec motor and has the pressure sensor below the solenoid. This motor and ecu were in another car of mine and ran perfect unitl the swap.

check the screen on the solenoid and clean it with some carb cleaner.

if you have an oil pressure gauge, what is it reading? usually intermittent vtec is caused by a clogged screen, lack of oil, or some kind of CEL.

I will clean the screen tommorrow and see what happens. Thanks!

Back