Vtec problem

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

B16aJWHO

I have a b16a in a 98 ex. My vtec has only kicked in once since I had my swap done. I checked my timing and it was at 20 degrees so I retarted it about 4 degrees. Doing this didnt help. Also, I have no check engine lights. Does anyone have any suggestions I should try? Maybe a new timing belt?

Well, it sounds like it would more than likely be an electrical problem. Double check the wiring to the ecu and check for shorts and opens. You also might want to pull off the vtec solenoid and clean the screen on the inside of it, if it is full of gunk, you won't get vtec to activate properly.

No CEL? THen how do you know it isn't "kicking in"? The crossover should be smooth.

When it did "kick in" It felt like I sprayed a 30 shot of nos. It only did this once.

i really dont think the vtec will kick in hard at all if its stock, i will just make power. but if u have cams, thats a different story.

Originally posted by allgo@Jan 3 2004, 04:54 AM
i really dont think the vtec will kick in hard at all if its stock, i will just make power. but if u have cams, thats a different story.

sure it will, the best thing to do is wire up a vtec light to see whether you're getting +12 volts at the vtec solenoid.

I dont know about you but in my car i can tell the differance in sounds and also if u floor it to like 7200 in 2nd gear and it feels like its not pulling anymore than its not working.
In my car it seemed like it would pull all the way to 5000 or so and then start to lose power a little. It normally should pull to 5000 and then pull way harder to redlline.

my b18c one time (couple actually) waited forever to kick on vtec. I had to wait till it completely warmed up, took forever, then it wouldnt kick on untill late 4000rpms, sometime apeared to be 5grand. I ended up checking the oil, and i was low. changed the oil, and made sure i had enough, and all was good.....

Back