Vtec problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

A friend of mine has a 99 civic si with only intake and exaust.

After getting an oil change, the vtec does not seem to be making anymore power. Vtec can be heard engaging but no power is put down at the wheels. The motor seems to just get loud, but you cant feel any power of the power that it usta have.

I told him that maybe the oil was low, and that could probably be a problem, seeing as how vtec uses oil pressure. or something could be losse causing a drop in oil pressure, I.E. oil filter, causing vtec not to fully engage.

I was jst pullin shiit outa my ass when assesing the problem but it made sense to me.

Seeing as how i have no real experience with vtec, i was wondering if any of you smart people on this site could help me out i helpin my friend solve this problem. The symptoms of the car are listed above. Any info or facts about vtec are welcomed.

Thanx in advance.

REUPDATE:

OK.. before going to smog yesterday, all oem parts were put back on. The car passed smog with flying colors.

Back at da house...
After market parts were put on again, this time including header. The car ran fine for about 20 min, but then came a sudden loss of power.

When you press the accelorator the car starts to choke and bog down until it dies. you cant rev past 3 grand. It seems like its breathing in too much air, and not being able to fire in each cylinder. The intake roars but the exaust is as quite as a mouse.

Could this be a timming F-up? or something more problematic?
Before all this there was the Vtec problem stated above. So if anyone has any ideas abot what may be the cause for all these headaches.... LET ME KNOW.. aight koo

Thanx for your time to read this post

EDIT: Today we are planning on going back through the motor and timing everything from TDC hopefully this will help a little bit.

Pull the code that the ECU is throwing, that should give you a great starting place to troubleshoot your problem.

would there even be a code stored??... no cel lights have come on.

I was thinking about that last night.. but it was like 11:00 and we were too burned out to do anything else.... aight ill check it today then.

what else??

Back