vtec problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

accordguy

I’m having v-tec problems with my h22 accord and I need to know the following.

1 I just pulled a code and I’m getting a code 12 which is the Egr valve could this be a possible reason.

2 My tach does not work, I’m not sure if it’s the tach itself or the blue wire on the dizy is not getting power. Would this affect my vtec? I need to know specifically if the tach is getting power but simply not working would it matter, or does the tach actually need to show the RPM in order to work?

3 The Egr valve is on the manifold correct right behind the oil cap.

1. No it won't
2. VTEC is RPM dependent, and this is where I would start, at the dizzy. They just go bad sometimes.
3. On the intake manifold, with hose #16 going to it hopefully(and if memory serves.) The EGR has a three wire plug, and a couple 12mm bolt heads holding it down.

His Speedo does work.
His tach didn't work even when he originally used the B16 internals when the swap was first done (ignitor...) but now has an oem h22 dizzy
The code is intermittent. When the swap was first done we thought it was not engaging vtec periodiculy because the knock sensor wasn't hook up. Now that thats squared away, the last time I spoke to him vtec isn't engaging at all & he was able to pull the code when it threw a cel using two diffrent ecu's. So the EGR valve would be the culprit?

Is it something that can be cleaned or just replaced? I believe he has a spare h22 mani if he can take it off of that one.

y0 B, make sure its plugged in & find out if thats something that needed to be wired up for the swap too. Maybe its fine but needs to be wired..?

the EGR isnt the problem, mine would engage without the EGR. without an RPM signal VTEC doesnt know when to engage...im pretty sure thats your culprit.

Hmm...his tach hasn't worked since the swap was done a few weeks ago & VTEC has engaged several times after the swap was done. Before the knock was wired up he just had to turn off the car everytime he engaged vtec to clear the code & then it would work again till it threw the code again.

this is gonna sound stupid, but unplug the IAT until you get it working right. the open loop map rocks...not as good as the O2 sensor running the car, but its better than nothing. Doesnt knock at all or feel bogged down running rich.

As we speak my car is at honda, it's going to be interesting to see what they find once they do all the tests on my car. I will post the results when I get her back.

Ok, I took my car to the dealer and basically it was a waste of time. They took a look at my overall setup, wiring, vacuum lines, etc. They basically told me that my vacuum lines were routed wrong, and when they put them the way they were supposed to be. The dealer said the car was running horribly or very rough in there words. So they had to configure the car back to the way it was when I brought it in, in order to make the car run right. I can say honestly my car feels fine, besides the minor exhaust leak.

The car idles a tad high when you press on the gas but appears to resumes normal idle 5-10 seconds after letting of the gas. They also told me I had the wrong computer and even though I had no check engine lights on, the car was not reading the sensors correctly. They also told me I should have used the prelude wire harness.

I told them the car is running the right ECU which is a p13 and the guy on the phone simply said umm ok. These people seemed completely clueless. I would assume that they would have the capability to verify I have the right ECU as opposed to guessing and asking me over the phone. To end, they told me that they do not want to deal with the issues that they think my car has. Overall I was very disappointed, now here my new problem.

At first I was not sure if this was happening, honestly though, I did not want to believe this was happing. I’m not getting vtec in first gear, but all other gear seem fine. The only code I’m getting, like I mentioned before is a code 12(EGR). I think I’m throwing this code because the line that supposed to connect to the EGR valve then from there connects to the EGR Solenoid valve is not hooked up. When I first got my car back form the person who did my swap, vtec was working in first gear. I’ve not been able since to engage vtec in first gear. I can tell the car is cutting off the fuel at a low rpm, but it’s hard to actually tell because I have no tach. The dealer did mention I was getting a signal from the dizy for my tach, so maybe I just a need a replacement or something. Any idea on this vtec issue. From some basic research I’ve done this is a problem some other people have experienced.

Some Honda mechanics are great, some know less than us, and some just need to be shot with a potato gun. If you do shoot one with a potato gun, don't blame me, but please post the video.

EGR code won't stop VTEC. Why is the solenoid not wired?

Fix the dizzy problem, I think that may be the culprit, and could be intermittent.

Quoted post[/post]]
Some Honda mechanics are great, some know less than us, and some just need to be shot with a potato gun. If you do shoot one with a potato gun, don't blame me, but please post the video.

EGR code won't stop VTEC. Why is the solenoid not wired?

Fix the dizzy problem, I think that may be the culprit, and could be intermittent.

The EGR solenoid is wired, but the vacum line that goes from the EGR to the EGR solenoid is not connected.

Damn B, I didn't know you were bringing it to Honda today. Those idiots were just giving you the run around. Sounds like they didn't want to deal with the problem & I gurantee whoever looked at it wasn't even qualified to. Probably a so called "tech" but more like a lube/tire guy who occasionally does other things as well.

So the EGR valve needs to be connected? Where does it connect & if so try that & see if there is a difference. maybe thats why it wasn't running right after they connected the vaccum lines the right way because of the absence of the egr hose. :shrug2:

Also, from the last time I was in it, I think vtec WAS engaging in first gear (because it wouldn't rev that high & cut out a lot sooner like the times it wasn't) but its just not pulling as hard or running as good in 1st compared to when you first got the car back. Either way I know & do agree its not pulling as hard in first gear compared to begining but I definetly think its engaging. Also, I don't think vtec will not just NOT work in 1st gear then work in every other gear. Makes no sense.

Anyway, your next step I guess is to see where the EGR hose hooks up to & hook it up. Then maybe reroute vaccum lines to the proper locations & see how it runs That may be why its throwing a code 12 for EGR because the line isn't hooked up.

Vtec is inconsistent in first gear, a few times vtec has engaged in first gear but as you said not as hard as it did we first got the car. As of now though I have not been able to engage vtec at in first the car simply cuts out as if the engine is having a spasm, I know now that that spasm feeling is the fuel being cut off\car redlining at a lower rpm 5000-6500 and not allowing vtec to engage. I’m positive of this. In 2nd gear vtec pulls hard without a doubt.

That is so weird dude, maybe it does have something to do with the lack of your tach then. Hmmm...also find out about the egr hose just for the hell of it. The fact that they hooked up vacuum lines "the right way", & it ran like shit doesn't sound good. Could be though again there idiots. I'll hit you up l8r bro.

Quoted post[/post]]
That is so weird dude, maybe it does have something to do with the lack of your tach then. Hmmm...also find out about the egr hose just for the hell of it. The fact that they hooked up vacuum lines "the right way", & it ran like shit doesn't sound good. Could be though again there idiots. I'll hit you up l8r bro.

Allright guys here the deal. I think my vtec works perfectly fine. The reason why I thought my vtec in first gear was not working correctly was because when I first got my car back from the guy that did my swap. My best friend Hatchspeed drove my car to see how vtec felt. I did not know he was in second gear, should have figured that though, because we were going like 60-70 miles an hour and vtec felt amazing. So thinking he was in first gear, when I tired a few days later to test vtec again. I was like what going on how come I don’t feel it now where as much now all over a sudden in first, I was saying to my self, but vtec felt fine in 2nd gear. So this was the mix up. It makes perfect logical sense that vtec in first gear it not going to be as impressive as in 2nd gear and all other gear. First gear only get to 30-35 miles an hour so it makes sense to me that vtec is going to feel light in first in which it does in my car compared to the rest of the gears. What do you guys think?

well, i would like to let you know, im part of the "My EGR isnt working" club, and when my car goes into a closed loop it feels like shit (in all gears). The EGR valve opens, but the computer doesnt register it. It adds fuel to compinsate and in doing so it over compinsates. Thats the conclusion i have come to. There is vacuum on the line for the EGR while im driving (friend of mine has a cool peak pressure gauge that we setup and drove around the block) and when i manually pull vacuum on the EGR the engine just about dies. I think its a computer problem. When i finally get around to getting my p28 tuned, ill let you know.

Why are you guys having EGR problems? I swapped over the EGR from my Accord motor, which bolted up perfectly to the H22. No wiring.

I have a question. Does the EGR Valve affect the vtec? i have the same problem. I have an 00 Accord V6 and the code registers EGR valve. I am about to have it replaced because my mechanic says that the EGR Valve will affect vtec, often disabling it because the valve is not working properly.

Your valve is probably fine. There is a sequence that can be done to clean out the soot from the EGR passageways.

I haven't heard of the EGR causing VTEC to fail. There is no reason for it to stop VTEC, especially in a stock accord motor.

i myself have never hear of vtec not engaging in a specific gear. VTEC uses different variables to determine when to engage itself ( I.E.= tach speed, vehicle speed, oil pressure, engine temp, etc) if one of these variables is malfunctioning then it it will not engage.. if in fact you really not engaging VTEC in first gear the i think it can only be one of 2 things:

1. you ECU is messed up

2. it sounds like your car isnt creating enough oil pressure in 1st gear to engage

reason why i say this is because its engaging in every gear but the lowest gear, the gear that creates the least amount of pressure. ovibously your not running in open loop becuase it engages in every other gear and also you doing well over 30mph in second gear and up. so unless you ECU is messed up. it really sounds liek your not creating enoughf oil pressure to engange.

ALSO: A BAD OR FAULTY EGR DOES NOT EFFECT VTEC ENGAGEMENT AT LEAST ON OBD1 VEHICLES. OBD 2 IM NOT TOO SURE:eek:

Last edited:
Back