Vtec probles

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

D street Civic

Just bought a 95 civic D16z6 automatic( :() ya i know but i am having a problem with it hitting Vtec. Adjusted timing, spark plugs, but no luck. Any info would help!!!!!!

well you just need a few things for vtec oil pressure it needs to be warm and wireing. or mabe a bad ecu or speed sensor

when i did the timing everything was lined up with the cam and crank but from prior experience with my 92 eagle talon tsi awd sometimes even half a tooth on the timing belt can make all the differance. Having said that is it normal for a D16z6 automatic to be gutless as hell (my stock 94 integra ls 5 speed puts it to shame). It doesnt stop there the head is port and polished,header,cat,muffler, intake and did i mention that it wouldnt pass emissions because there was to much fuel in the exhaust?????

could the timing be off and cause this vtec not to hit and for the car to be gutless or is it just a D16z6 thing? I bought the car from some kid that tried to do a tranny swap, brake conversion, and for some reason he pulled the head off but after he was done getting high he forgot how to put it back together so that is what i have to work with.

yikes sounds like you got some problems yes the timeing needs to be on but vtec will make you lose power but it is always gona feel like you have none for a few reasons the auto tranny sucks and your going from a car that had 200+ hp stock to one that has 125. it also sounds like your running a little to rich

well sounds crazy but check your oil first to make sure its full. and are you sure vtec is not comming on

most of the parts on the car are stock and the fuel is controled by the ecu,oxygen sensor so how would it be runing rich? I also was getting a check engine saying the cylinder positioning sensor malf. but after hours of testing i found this idiot took the C clip off the distributor and rotated the male end that fits into the cam 180 deg. so i switched that around and got rid of the check engine but the spark plug wires didnt match the way that the Chilton book said? Is this possible or is this maybe the wrong distrubutor?

That is what i am not sure about i keep hearing that you cant feel or hear the Vtec in the D16z6 but when getting on the freeway it gets up to 5000rpms ok but seems to stay a while in the 5-7000 range. Weird i know!!!!!

well it sounds like alot of stuff is possible with this car well the reason im saying its running rich didnt you say there was to much fuel in the exhaust. does it sound like vtec comes on your barely gona notice in a auto z6

sometimes its hard to look to see if your rpm goes up a little faster and lisn for the sound to change over

well after you check the oil level, run a wire from the vtec selnoid to the hot post on the battery and tap it a few times and lisn to see if it clicks.. do you have any codes

umm im not sure ill have to dig that one up

53 ft lbs is what the book said and for an alu. block and head it sounds right but i just wasnt sure since the spark plug wire config on the distrib didnt match

Come to think about it the car does eat oil like candy but i just figured it for a leak (just finished puting the engine together last week)

i got a 94 d16z6 and i can tell when the vtec kicks in. it should hit at about 4700. mines a 5 speed but u should still feel it a little.

Back