Vtec Question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SLOINTEGRA

My freind has a 90 accord with an H22A and the morons that hooked it up did it all wrong. So I have a question about the ECUs. He has both of them the H22 and the F22 ECUs. But the vtec is not hooked up yet because thoose morons did it all wrong. So anyway which ECU is better for the car in this situation.

There's not much of a "situation" since you're not really describing how the wiring was done, just that it was messed up. It's almost always better to run the ECU that fits the engine, but it depends on what wiring you're willing to change too.

When he first got the car back it still had the F22 ECU in there. Some how the people that put it in rigged up some dumb thumb switch on the shift knob to engage Vtec but how is that even possible without the right air, fuel,and oil pressure but for some reason there seems to be a boost in power around the higher rpms when he pushes that button.

Well the H22 P13 VTEC ECU have both low and high cam maps for when you're in vtec and not in vtec... As long as the ECU sees the oil pressure sensor, it will put you in the vtec maps when vtec is supposed to be enabled whether it is or isn't... So if your friend is using a switch at say 6,000RPMs and vtec is supposed to kick in at 4,400RPMs you're already in the vtec maps when your friend does kick vtec on via the switch which is why you feel the boost in power... Or plainly just getting more air altogether... =) Best thing to do would be to wire vtec to the ECU so it's running the correct maps at the correct times...

James

well i seen a guy who did a mini-me swap and he hda d to put these two wire to kick it on while he was drivin...this guy was a idiot but he baisically did it by hand(i feel so sorry for those kinda people)maualy so by hookin it up to a switch can be done.you can buy the swith at radishack to get it to kick on.but thats just ghetto so have him get it loked at,and o yeah ask for your money back too.goodluck.

Back