vtec question????????????????????????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i would like to know if there is a way i can install an l.e.d in my car that will light up when vtec wildcam kicks in ,which wires do i hack into,my car is the 3 stage vtec d15 and thus has two vtec solenoids ,1 to switch from 12valves to 16, (the solenoids are marked 'H' and 'M' on the base where they sit)and the other to engage the wildcam,,,im curious to know exactly when vtec kicks in,my d15 definatley has the urge,it pulls like no other 1500 i know of,but the soundtrack from the engine is a bit boring ,i dont hear that "scream" that i should hear at the changeover point to wildcam,,,,when i play gran tourismo on the playstation i hear it...........or maybe the d15's dont emit the scream due to vtec being implemented only on the intake valves.......any suggestions?????????

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,disconecting the wildcamsolenoid should disable the racecam ,and allow me to see if its actually working by checking the performance differencial(basically taking it for a test drive) ,if theres no decrease in power then it means theres a problm........can the solenoid be safely unplugged????

for those whove never heard of 3 stage vtec = http://asia.vtec.net/article/d15b/ the article is lower down the page

Your D15 isn't going to scream at the changeover, it's a sohc and the VTEC it's equipped with is used for economy, not power.

and i've never heard the change over on GT4 myself... I think that's a placebo effect you're hearing.

GO IN TOU YOUR video game archives and dig out a copy of gt2,race any civic including the s2000,and you'l hear what i mean,,,,,,the sohc may not be made for outright power ,but it does have a "wild cam" in its vtec mechanism that kicks in at around 6k rpm,surel there should be a noticable change in soundtrack..........does anyone here have a d15 vtec???????????????????????? ,not the the d15b vtec-e(thats designed purely for economy)

Quoted post[/post]]
GO IN TOU YOUR video game archives and dig out a copy of gt2,race any civic including the s2000,and you'l hear what i mean,,,,,,the sohc may not be made for outright power ,but it does have a "wild cam" in its vtec mechanism that kicks in at around 6k rpm,surel there should be a noticable change in soundtrack..........does anyone here have a d15 vtec???????????????????????? ,not the the d15b vtec-e(thats designed purely for economy)

I don't know what to say. I've had gt2, 3 and 4 and on NONE of them have I heard a vtec switchover. Either way the cars in that game are all DOHC VTEC B series engines, where as you have a SOHC D series that is built for Economy.

Anyway, your D series will not have a noticable difference in the audible sound at the cam switchover. If you want that noticable difference get a B16a with a CAI or short ram. THEN you will hear it.

basically hack into the solenoid wire. run an led from that wire to your dash, and from your dash back to the solenoid. why you would wanna do that is beyond me, and that much wire will give you added resitance...that could cause you a few problems.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]

I don't know what to say. I've had gt2, 3 and 4 and on NONE of them have I heard a vtec switchover. Either way the cars in that game are all DOHC VTEC B series engines, where as you have a SOHC D series that is built for Economy.

Anyway, your D series will not have a noticable difference in the audible sound at the cam switchover. If you want that noticable difference get a B16a with a CAI or short ram. THEN you will hear it.

yep youre most probably right,,,,,i just need to lay my power hungry paws on a b16a or b16b,thanks for youre input

dont know about you guys, but on my z6 when it hits 5000rpm that bitch gets a lot louder i can hear it, and feal it, its beetchin, but it dosent sound like a b16a similer though

Back