1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vtec Question

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by 9integragated1, Feb 18, 2003.

1. 9integragated1

9integragated1 Junior Member

Is it possible to have a automatic transmission with a VTEC engine? If so will the engines performance be the same?

2. sportlinecrx

sportlinecrx Banned

yes. vtec has nothing to do with the tranny. it has to do with the engine's valve timing and valve lift. the engines will perform the same, BUT the automatic has larger, harder-to-get-moving gears, and pre-determined shift points. thats why automatics are slower. also, automatic transmissions use some of the engine's power to help it shift.

3. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Don't they also have milder cams?

4. pills_PMD

pills_PMD Super Moderator

i dont know if i believe that myth...

why would honda waste the money to make two separate cams for automatic and manual cars??

if they are machined from a billet block, then that means that they have to have two separate cnc or other machines to do that work and those are expensive... if they only use one.. then they have to change the program to make them...

it just makes more sense that they made one set of cams and put them in all the engines and only the tranny changed... but i could be wrong...

5. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Your right it doesn't make sense,but my old EDM 85 si had a completely different cast iron header than my 86 US spec one,but ya who knows?

6. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

why is this in anything goes? :bash: moving to general tech

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted