VTEC questions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HondaCivicEx96

I have a 1996 honda civic ex. I originally had a knocking noise and had to get rid of my d16y8. I now have a d15b in my car to hold me by till i get my h22 swap. My questions are/is a D15b vtec or non-vtec? My car also isn't going past 5000rpm and I don't know why can anyone tell me that answer too?

yes the D15b is a vtec motor

Now what obd is your motor
do you have any cel's

also check all your connections and make sure they are good

There are VTEC and non VTEC D15Bs. They also span several generations. Blocks stamped "D15B" or "ZC" have to be identified some other way. This is just a generic stamp used on JDM engines.

It's very simple to see if you have VTEC. Look for the VTEC solenoid near the intake manifold. You can quickly identify the generation by the intake manifold. Compare it to a Z6 or a Y8.

Some OBD2 D15Bs have 2 VTEC solenoids indicating that they are 3 Stage VTEC. Some have very tiny throttle bodies indicating they are OBD1 VTEC-E. And some are non VTEC being the equivalent of a D15B7. If the throttle body points up, then it's the equivalent of a Y7 which is non VTEC.

Back