VTEC Smoke

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Johnnylawless

Getting Minor smoke when VTEC kicks in on my B18C5. Is a little anything to worry about? I use 10/30 mobil 1 in it.

from what i understand,hondas are designed to run rich under heavy load (vtec),i dont want to mislead you but i wouldnt worry about it ---Ihave a 01' prlude as well and it smokes just a little bit under vtec and it only has 60,000 miles on it

It's A Blueish smoke not Black. So that's what worries me a bit, also my oil usage is a bit more than i would think should be acceptable.

Of course I am a "VTEC Junkie"

im not a big mechanic or nothing but it sounds like rings or something ---have you done a compression test ?---i had an oil usage problem in my civic and i just spun a rod bearing last week---motor is trashed thats why i am going to a b series now ---all i can tell you is to watch your oil level :eek:

40K, I did the swap and I will rebuild if need be, but just wanted to see if this was normal for VTEC to use alot of oil.

Originally posted by Johnnylawless@Dec 5 2003, 07:52 PM
Getting Minor smoke when VTEC kicks in on my B18C5. Is a little anything to worry about? I use 10/30 mobil 1 in it.

Dont worry about it - my car does it whenever im in VTEC as well.

Just look at your exhaust tip and if its covered in that black crap - then you will know if its runnin rich.

a compression test isnt really gonna tell you if you have a ring problem. if you are burnin oil that says oil is staying above your rings which will cause the piston to hold more compression. do a leakdown test, that will tell you more accurately if you have a ring problem.

Don't worry about it my ass. If the ITR motor is USDM, it has 10.6 compression which should read 240 psi all the way across, just like my JDM GSR motor. If it's JDM ITR, it should read even higher, something like 260-270 I believe. You are definitely losing compression. Check it out, could be fucked rings which would explain why you are puffing blue smoke

check the valve guides, those will eventually wear out. 40k seems a little quick but if your turning 8 grand daily...

Originally posted by lowdowncivic@Dec 5 2003, 08:16 PM
im not a big mechanic or nothing but it sounds like rings or something ---have you done a compression test ?---i had an oil usage problem in my civic and i just spun a rod bearing last week---motor is trashed thats why i am going to a b series now ---all i can tell you is to watch your oil level :eek:

No Its your valve seals, If it was your piston rings a motor that has a 8k redline will burn all that oil in less than one week. If you have no Cat and you see black puffs of smoke thats normal, if its CONSTANT blue the valve seals are going bad If it does no matter what (RINGS), due to in consistent oil changes, causes premature wear. And knowing the he hits VTEC often.

Originally posted by Johnnylawless@Dec 5 2003, 08:17 PM
All Cyls Around 190-200 Psi @10 Turns

10 turns!!!

i thought u were only to do 5 turns.

i got 190-200-190-200 with 5 turns

Back