VTEC & Wireing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

an203888

Hi,

I have a problem with getting my VTEC on my car to work - first let me tell you everthing I have done:

OK - I have a B16A2 engine out of a 1997 honda civic VTI (UK spec), the engine wireing loom is from the same car. The dash wiring/ECU wiring is froma 1997 SOHC Civic. My ECU is from a 1994 Civic VTI and is an OBD1 P30 ECU plugged into the harness with a conversion harness.

The mix/match of components is because I am running the engine in a 1976 Mini. I have had the car on the road for 2-3 weeks now and it has been running absolutly fine and I thought the power was all good. I thought the power was a bit down one day from something a freind said so thought I would cheack that the vtec was working. I did this by unplugging the VTEC solionoid valve wire. Meaning that the VTEC would definitly not be working. I drove the car and it drove exactly the same as it had been for the last two weeks - meaning that the VTEC wasnt working :(. I decided to connect a light to the vtec wire to see if it was switching on - and it wasnt so there has to be something wrong with the sensors I think.

I have not got the CEL plugged in and this is another problem - how do I get the CEL to work? What pin out is it on the OBD1 P30 ECU and how do I wire it up. Will this tell me whats wrong with the car? I really want to get this working so any help would be appreciated.

Thankyou

Paul

Ok I have been looking at my pinouts for my ecu found here:

I have been trying to single out the ones that I need to check so that the vtec works - please correct me if I am wrong somone?

Pin A4 is the output for the VTEC solinoid and gives a 12 volt signal to turn this on when all other sensors have given the ecu what it needs to turn this on?

The other signals that VTEC needs for the ECU to give it this are (please correct me):

A21 - is this the RPM input from the dizzy - it says ICM what is this?
B10 - speed sensor must be working - should be feeding 4 12 volt pulses per rev?
D6 - VTEC pressure switch - what is this and how do I test it?/where in teh engine is this?

These are the only ones I can understand:

I am missing the exhaust manifold one - where does this go into the ecu?

Also does anyone know what the following stand for as I am missing what these mean:

VCC & VCC2 ?
map Signal?
IAT Sensor?
ECT Sensor
TPS sensor
ICM?
EVAP Purge Control Solinoid? What is this?
IAC valve? What is this?
VREF?
PSP switch?
B11-B16 what are these to do with? : - CYP-p, cyp-m, cyp-p, cyp-m, ckp-p, ckp-m what the hell are all them?
Also which one is the Engine Temp Sensor?

Please help me!! I have tried to find teh info myself - just need some other ppls input - thanks.

Paul

What do these do and do any of them have anything to do with the VTEC?

ok...

To make your CEL work, put a lamp/LED between pin A13 and GND.
If your CEL comes on, it will remain lit solid until you take pin D4 (Service check) to GND. Put a switch in - you'll thank yourself later. When you connect D4 to GND, the CEL will blink in order to indicate codes. Long = 10 Short = 1 long - long - long -long- short - 10+10+10+10+1 = 41 = O2 Heater. Make sense?

1. ICM = Igntion Control Module - used by the ECU to signal when to fire a spark. Car wouldn't run if this was messed up.
2. VSS can be disabled by chipping your ECU. Might be a better solution than hooking it up. See www.pgmfi.org and www.ecimulti.org/uberdata
3. VTP (vtec pressure) is a safety check to make sure there is enough oil pressure to activate vtec. I seem to remember that some EDM B16A2s don't have a VTP, but I'm not positive. It is a 2 pin connector very close to the vtec solenoid. You can disable VTP by splicing the VTP wire (D6) into the Vtec soelnoid wire (A4) OR by modifying the code when chipping the ECU.
4. You need a working ECT (coolant temp) sensor
5. I don't remember, but some other common codes (O2 heater, etc.) will also cause vtec to not engage.

Good luck.

if the ckf sensor (crankshaft fluctuation sensor) is bad will the engine crank but not start . because i have no spark and have replaced the dis.

Back