vtec wiring harness

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

quickieinajiffy

so i couldnt get anyone to answer my question about the alternator only having three wires.. i've decided i'm just going to replace the wiring harness altogether. i ripped off all the wire loom back to where the engine harness hooks up to the headlight/etc. harness.. nothing there.

so my question now is do i get a OBD2 harness to match up to my b16a SirII or will it not plug into the headlight harness? i just want to make sure before i spend any money.. and also it will need to be vtec right?

you need to use the stock harness that came in your car, that's the only one that will work. atleast without changing your entire dash. you'll run wires into the engine bay for the vtec pressure switch, vtec solenod, knock sensor, etc.

ok thanks.. so do you know if a 1991 integra is obd1? if it's obd0 is there still four wires? i just want to know if it's possible to put a obd2 alternator plug on an obd0 wiring harness.. and if so, which wires go where? thanks again

alright so i looked at that link you posted and the wires i have in my harness are different from what are on that link.. the three wires i have on my harness are:

blue
white/blue
black/yellow

and the plug i have is like the first one on the link:
wht/red
wht/green
wht/blue
blk/yellow

so if you look at the link, what i would do is:

blue..............white/green
white/blue.....white/blue
blk/yellow.....blk/yellow
nothing?........wht/red

so just tie off the white/red wire?

i'm not sure why you wouldn't have all 4 wires... the only thing in that link with reference to a 3 wire alt plug is in reference to some jdm harnesses which only use the 3 wires. i honestly cant tell you if it would work or not. what harness are you using at this point? it should be the stock one that came with your car. and if you're using a 91 teg harness i dunno why it wouldn't have a 4 wire plug. strange. obviously there's something we're missing here lol.

Last edited:
yeah i thought about maybe it being a jdm harness, since the engine swap is jdm. but i don't see any reason to change the wiring harness to jdm when doing a swap since it will work just fine with usdm..

so i looked up the wiring diagram and what i found was the same as the harness in my car.. still puzzled.. i had the the alternator hooked up like that for a couple months then one day the battery caught on fire.. the firefighter that looked at my car said the battery overloaded but there was a bunch of wiring that was really sketchy from whoever did the swap. so there could have been a short somewhere, the ground somewhere could have been bad, one of the cells in the battery could have gone out, or, what i'm most afraid of, is the wiring to the alternator was effed up from not having four wires. it would really be nice if i could get someone else's opinion about it becuase i really dont want my car to catch on fire again lol..

if you want to play it safe i would just swap out your current engine harness and find yourself a new one. that way you wont have to worry about it anymore

thats what i was thinking too.. either that or get an obd0 alternator and hook up the old plug again.. which do you think would be cheaper? i've been looking around and i can't find any harnesses for 91 tegs with a manual tranny..

i just moved last weekend and was able to find my haynes manual.. i looked up the wiring diagrams and what i have matches what is in the manual. so i think what i'm just going to do is re-wire the original plug and get a new obd0 alternator. i just havent had any luck finding any information about doing the plug swap at all. so thanks for your help.. i was hoping there was a shortcut i could take but i guess i'll just play it safe and go back to stock.. thanks again

ok so I have one last question.. will a b18 alternator bolt up to my b16? or do I need to find a obd0 b16 alternator somewhere? honda made a b16 crx right? and del sols are obd1 so that wouldnt work right? i just think it would be easiest to bolt up an alternator from another DA so i know the wiring all matches up..

Back