vtec wiring

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

88rex

i was just wondering instead of wiring the vtec to the ecu can you use an rpm activated switch off of my msd6al ignition box because you can change rpm limits. please help im new to the vtec thing

you can, but I wouldnt reccommend it. The ecu adds fuel when vtec engages, and changes the ignition timing, and it also looks for reasons not to engage vtec, like low oil pressure. Using a RPM activated switch does none of this and could cause problems(like blown engines, due to no or low oil)
just do it the right way.

Originally posted by cycloneb18c3@Oct 1 2004, 01:27 PM
you can, but I wouldnt reccommend it. The ecu adds fuel when vtec engages, and changes the ignition timing, and it also looks for reasons not to engage vtec, like low oil pressure. Using a RPM activated switch does none of this and could cause problems(like blown engines, due to no or low oil)
just do it the right way.thanks for the info i never looked at the big picture forgot about the little things that go along with the vtec
[post=397180]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah- rpm based switches suck... do it the right way. you'll be much happier, and faster

Back