VTEC ZC motor in 95 Civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDM4LYF

I swapped out the D16Z6 in my 95 civic ex and opted for the VTEC ZC motor wich is pretty much the same engine im told. Plans for the b18c in the future but for now it is a quick fix. Is anyone familiar with this motor and is it worth trying to build? Thought about porting and polishing the head of the D16 and swappin on to the ZC but not sure what else i would need to change if i did that internal wise.

Any help appreciated!!

Sure- you can pull quite a bit of easy power out of the D16Z6 without spending too much money. One of the basic formulas is to up the compression to 12.0:1 with DOHC ZC pistons (PM7 or P29) that you can get for about $100, then add on an aggressive head and valvetrain. A typical cam for the SOHC VTEC will run you about $250-350, and matching valvetrain is only about $250 more.

I was planning a similar build for my CRX. I was going to use a SOHC ZC block, DOHC ZC pistons, P&P Z6 head, and Crower Stage 3 cam + valvetrain. A VAFC would have been used to tune. Overall it would have cost me less than $1000 in parts (labor free with me in my garage), and I would have been looking for about 160-165whp. Torque would have been in the vicinity of 115lbft to the wheels.

Something like that would make quite a peppy little engine for not much cash at all.

and if you feel like even more wild OEM(ish) piston combinations:

LS Rods + PDN pistons = 12.8:1
LS rods + Suzuki Vitara (G16A/G16B) pistons = ~8.5:1 (forced induction)

Thanks a lot man. preciate the help. the ported and polished head of the D16 will soon be on the ZC VTEC. Im gonna shoot for the 12:0:1 CR and slap on the ZEX kit and I should be in the 13's.

Peace.

slap on a zex kit with that high of compression and the only plcae you will be is at home wondering why your motor blew up,you shouldnt use nitrous with that high of compression u pretty much have to choose one or the other

Well I guess Ill go with around 9:0:1 CR or lower so I can run Turbo or Supercharger with Nitrous. Correct me if I'm wrong but i don't think Ill get the power I want with just going all motor. I would like to be runnin at least low 13's. Wonder if DRAG makes a turbo kit for the ZC Single VTEC?

not to thread jack, but Calesta is there any modifcation that needs to be done when putting PM7 or P29 pistons in a z6?

wow calesta reading that makes me wanna order all that stuff tonight and thow it in my CRX!! if i had 165whp i could take my friend in his 03 Si

Originally posted by JDMPlaya+Jun 20 2004, 04:56 PM-->
not to thread jack, but Calesta is there any modifcation that needs to be done when putting PM7 or P29 pistons in a z6?

No different than installing another set of OEM pistons in your block.

tylonalsnifnfool
@Jun 20 2004, 11:12 PM
wow calesta reading that makes me wanna order all that stuff tonight and thow it in my CRX!! if i had 165whp i could take my friend in his 03 Si

Go for it. It doesn't take much to smoke an Si.

Back