VTEC

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SPEEDFREAK0920

When was vtec first used? My buddy has an 89 crx SI and wants to know. Did vtec first come in the 92+ SI's ? thnx for the newbie help

'92 si's? are you referring to a hatch? nope. it goes back farther than that. the first car was the 1989 crx in japan. the nsx was the first u.s. car. the first company to actually work on it was fiat in the 1970's. bmw also had vanos in 1992.

VTEC came out in 89. However, Variable Valve Timing itself has been used since, If I remember correctly, the late 60's?

heck the guy that runs the shop in my sig said that honda had variable timing on its bikes before it was on their cars. VFR800 comes to mind. Thats early 80s.

ya i know about the vfr800 vtec in the motorcycles but when was VTEC first offered in a crx/civic?

ya i was refering to the 92 Si's

my buddy's d16 doesn't have the vtec solenoid on the block but i don't know if it's just in a different place or if his 89 crx Si really doesn't have vtec?

he bought a new SOHC and he says it's the same engine but the block only says ZC? any and all help is appreciated. thnx again

first vtec in us civics was 92
91 and before never had and were never wired for vtec in the us

he may have gotten a non vtec zc, search around here for it

Quoted post[/post]]
first vtec in us civics was 92
91 and before never had and were never wired for vtec in the us

he may have gotten a non vtec zc, search around here for it

he needs to just buy an sohc vtec solenoid. i think the dohc and sohc are different.

Quoted post[/post]]
ya i know about the vfr800 vtec in the motorcycles but when was VTEC first offered in a crx/civic?

ya i was refering to the 92 Si's

my buddy's d16 doesn't have the vtec solenoid on the block but i don't know if it's just in a different place or if his 89 crx Si really doesn't have vtec?

he bought a new SOHC and he says it's the same engine but the block only says ZC? any and all help is appreciated. thnx again

ok no he doesnt have vtec. no D16 89 crx in the U.S. ever had them. Also the the vtec solenoid is on the head . On the left back corner,that is if you looking from the hood. Aslo, are you sure that he didnt buy a dohc ZC? either way he doesnt have vtec. It would be easier if you posted a pic. :)

good stuff.thnx for the help. ya i should take a pic.he completely tore down his new engine because he bought srp 9:1 comp pistons,eagle rods,all brand new gaskets and bearings.but i'll still take a pic n post it.he doesn't have the dohc zc engine,just the sohc.

if i may ask in this section,with a simple turbo kit and 12psi should he be able to break 12's? thnx again for all the help

Quoted post[/post]]
good stuff.thnx for the help. ya i should take a pic.he completely tore down his new engine because he bought srp 9:1 comp pistons,eagle rods,all brand new gaskets and bearings.but i'll still take a pic n post it.he doesn't have the dohc zc engine,just the sohc.

if i may ask in this section,with a simple turbo kit and 12psi should he be able to break 12's? thnx again for all the help

should be able to do it with the right tranny,tires, a chassis (crx i assume).

yes it is a crx.alright thnx again for all the help.now it's time for all my k20 questions....

Quoted post[/post]]
'92 si's? are you referring to a hatch? nope. it goes back farther than that. the first car was the 1989 crx in japan. the nsx was the first u.s. car. the first company to actually work on it was fiat in the 1970's. bmw also had vanos in 1992.

Quoted post[/post]]
im sure the first vtec honda was on a nsx i saw it somwhere

wow dude, talk about bringing a dead thread back. you basically quoted something that was already posted.

Quoted post[/post]]
heck the guy that runs the shop in my sig said that honda had variable timing on its bikes before it was on their cars. VFR800 comes to mind. Thats early 80s.
im not reading the rest of this crap but Honda first starting producing MOTORCYCLES before cars in 1948. Actually the first engine they were well known for back then was the CVCC (controlled vortex combustion chamber)

first time vtec,was 88 on the integra xsi

can you show me where you get that. i dont' agree with you. the first us car with vtec was the '91 nsx. the first honda was the 89 crx but that was only in japan.

the JDM 88 integra had a ZC motor. The US model had a d16. The XSi was the 90-93 and didn't feature the b16a until 1990.

The JDM CRX SiR featured a b16a in 89.

I got this information from HondaHookUp.com and my friend the tech at Honda.

Last edited:
Black Widow g2 said:
can you show me where you get that. i dont' agree with you. the first us car with vtec was the '91 nsx. the first honda was the 89 crx but that was only in japan.

the JDM 88 integra had a ZC motor. The US model had a d16. The XSi was the 90-93 and didn't feature the b16a until 1990.

The JDM CRX SiR featured a b16a in 89.

I got this information from HondaHookUp.com and my friend the tech at Honda.

ZC motors don't have vtec though, do they? so i stick with what i said before. the first us car was the 91 nsx. the first stock honda car was the b16 crx. damn, i'm repeating myself again.

nick- that was supposed to be for the other guy who said vtec came on the 88 integra...

i thought there were some ZCs that did have vtec though... that one specifically was non-vtec. it quoted wrong... i 've been having that issue recently. sorry. :) i was actually trying to respond to the other kid.

EDIT: FIXED UPPER POST... sorry confused.

Last edited:
Back