Vtec?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

RFHOMI2U

I was just wondering what you guys are experiencing when vtec kicks in. A hard pull of G's? extra power? does the motor change in tone or get louder? I'm not sure my vtec is operating properly. My car is the only car i have driven with vtec, and I'm not sure what it is supposed to be like.

Motors are individuals,somewhat.My old VX motor hit vtec hard,much harder than I would think it should.It didn't pull a whole lot more,but you could definitely tell it was in vtec.My B16 pulls nice and the attitude changes,kinda like a kid getting his ass kicked,then coming out of nowhere and breaking the other kids nose.

i'm not sure about the others here but mine gets REALLY LOUD. and its kinda hits in... it doesnt just gradually kick in. its kinda like

[tachometer] 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8[/tachometer]

you will not hear/notice it as much as you do with a DOHC vtec engine.

not true, a friend of mine had the same swap in a crx, and my fucking god it sounded like it wanted to rip somebodys face off when vtec kicked in!

Originally posted by BlackJDMdeath@Mar 5 2003, 10:50 PM
not true, a friend of mine had the same swap in a crx, and my fucking god it sounded like it wanted to rip somebodys face off when vtec kicked in!

i was saying that if someone had the same setup of everything except motors:

one had a z6

and the other a b16

it is fact that the b16 would be louder/more aggressive.

When VTEC (hey I spelled it right ) kicks in you wont really notice it on your speedometer but you can feel and hear it, It sounds like a 13 year old kid going through those special years, a nice quiet sound then gun it and after 6000 or more VTEC is kicked in a agressive growl then you can feel more G's (g-force) a B16 has diffrent cams (ithink) so it is a lot more agressive when I bought my si I test drove aa gsr and it diddnt winds up as fast as my si but it did have better tourqe but didnt rev as fast

Originally posted by Zoarette-racing@Mar 7 2003, 05:38 AM
When VTEC (hey I spelled it right ) kicks in you wont really notice it on your speedometer...

When I hit vtec in second my speedo climbs like tach. :D

Hey black JDM Death...who's crx was that? Are you talkin about MINE? lol, prolly not i'd expect. Ohh yeah, I'm gallahad14 off aim.

Well, in ans. to the question, you should feel something. I have a z6 in my 88 Si, and when it hits, you can tell. It pulls, and the tone changes, (pitch and volume) but not as much as a DOHC. You can def. tell though.

try this...starting in second gear, on a clear stretch of road, unhook your vtec, and push the gas all the way, only shifting at fuel cut off. Now stop, hook up your vtec controller, and do it again. If your setup is working, you will definately notice that your car pulls above the switchover point, whereas when unhooked, it didn't.
Al

Hey ,

Heres a suggestion, why dont you just hook up a vtec indicator light. Its not hard to do and costs little. :blink:

Back