VX transmission into 4dr sedan swap?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

protocol_droid

howdy all-

First post on here. I was over on gassavers.org, however couldn't find specifics. I'm to be purchasing a 4dr 92-95 civic lx/dx 4dr manual. I want to do a VX transmission swap to increase gas mileage (since it's nearly impossible to score an unmolested VX hatch lately) I wanted to know what is needed to do this swap, is it plug-n-play or are there axels, wiring, etc that are needed. Also, if it is possible, can I also use VX rims on this swap? Thanks in advance. Any links to pertinent people whom have done this...t'would be awesome. OH yeah, used to own a 96 gsr with all the NA mods and suspension...long ago in my earlier years.

VX tranny has taller gearing, it should help quite a bit. In fact, there is one person on gassavers.org that has a 4dr lx with the vx tranny, however he didn't install the transmission so there's no information on the difficulty (10% increase to 45mpg). Also, another member had an HX swapped to VX tranny which increased his gas mileage to an average of 50mpg with no other changes. Not looking for power here, only better gas mileage.

So it's a straight swap, I can use all that is already on the 4dr, just plug-n-play the tranny? That sounds great. I'm wondering if there are others on here that have actually done it. Thanks for your input

Last edited:
yes its a straight swap, but you have to remember the vx and hx motor are built for saving gas. your gona be putting the tranny on a dx motor one thats not meant for saving gas so i dont see it helping that much.

All 92-95 D-series transmissions are interchangeable, so yes, it's a straight swap...

yes its a straight swap, but you have to remember the vx and hx motor are built for saving gas. your gona be putting the tranny on a dx motor one thats not meant for saving gas so i dont see it helping that much.

Ah, I understand your thinking. Yes, that is the case, however it has been done to an advantage already, except no how-to's. It appears as you say it's a good simple swap, I'll do it and confirm the FE increase. If it doesn't work out well...here comes the vtec-e z1 to match it. In that case, I'm not sure if new axels, etc are needed for that swap. Yowzers.

All 92-95 D-series transmissions are interchangeable, so yes, it's a straight swap...

Thanks for confirming also!!:)

Oh yes, will I also be able to use the super lightweight VX rims on the sedan? I haven't seen one before?

let me confirm even more lol all 88-00 civic d series are interchangeable

Not unless you want to buy a hydro-cable conversion for the 88-91's. Stick to a 92-00 for simplicities sake. And your stock axles, shift linkage, mounts, ect will work with the d15z1. The custom part will be sourcing the ecu, and wiring for vtec, and the 5 wire 02 sensor.

Last edited:
let me confirm even more lol all 88-00 civic d series are interchangeable

Hey, I know you were the first one.:p

BTW, I guess it's off topic a bit now. What about doing the full z1vtec-e w/tranny swap. Plug n play also I would imagine.

yes the motor would also plug in play almost you would just need a new ecu and run a few wires for vtec

yes the motor would also plug in play almost you would just need a new ecu and run a few wires for vtec

Now I'm really considering doing the full swap if the wiring is easy. I did a search for vtec wiring and a motherload popped up, however I couldn't find one with the proper wiring diagrams (w pictures) that is pertinent to the d15z1 swap. Any ideas or proper links? thanks in advance AHHVTEC! :happydance:

Also, any good companies that I can get quotes from that you feel comfortable recommending? Thanks.

One last thing, if the civic is a 92, doesn't it come prewired for vtec and that would eliminate the need for running extra wires?

Last edited:
yes the 92 is pre wired for vtec at the strut tower but if you want to do this swap just do it its super easy nothing major at all im not sure where you can get the usdm motor though the only place i buy from is Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com but im not sure if they will have that motor just give them a look

yes the 92 is pre wired for vtec at the strut tower but if you want to do this swap just do it its super easy nothing major at all im not sure where you can get the usdm motor though the only place i buy from is Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com but im not sure if they will have that motor just give them a look

The JDM engines can't be smogged? Do these also have to be barr or not allowed? Perhaps I can score a usdm off of ebay in the near future.

yea try ebay, i dont know anythign about smog stuff im in alabama we can run straight headers down here lol

yea try ebay, i dont know anythign about smog stuff im in alabama we can run straight headers down here lol

yeah baby. at the end of the day, i'll want to have the fed ecu which allows the leanburn for extra mileage vs. the cali vx ecu. thanks for your help!!!

ur going to need the " control box " which would be mounted up on the firewall near the winshield, with 2 things to recirculate the exhaust gasses ect. and wiring for that to the ecu as well (or maybe shock tower). good luck

vx owner

I don't know if this is relevant or not but.....92-95 DX/LX is a D15B7, will the exhaust manifold from the Z1 head bolt up to the existing exhaust? I just replaced a Z6 bottom with a Z1 bottom and the manifolds are different, the existing exhaust would not bolt up to the Z1 manifold so I used the Z6 head and manifold.

A VX motor is not going to be 100% plug and play, you have the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve and lift sensor and their control box, and the 5 wire o2 sensor. This is almost never brought up because most of the time people are dumping them, not install VXs.

Back