W0 H000000000000000000

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Tonyd0821

Banned
IM GETTING A JDM B16 IN MY EK.

JUST TALKED TO SEVERAL PEOPLE WHO SAID JDM B16'S CAN
BE SMOGGED IN THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA...
PROVIDED YOU PUT ON THE SMOG SHIT FROM THE USDM B16
AND THE JDM B16 IS OBD2.

ONLY 7 MORE WEEKS TILL I DO MY SWAP!!!!!!

id like to add the post where i got this info off of...it came from honda-tech.com and
i forget, or rather am too lazy to go back and look who posted the 411. if you that concered about
plaugurism (sp) goto honda swap.com and do a search on b16 smog.

this is some other guys words, NOT mine below:

I just heard back from my local California Smog Referee today! This is what he said:
JDM MOTORS CAN BE LEGAL AS LONG AS:

1. The engine is the same year as car or newer.

2. The ECU is a USDM and not JDM.

3. NO JDM wiring harness, it must be USDM. (I am a little confused about this, I am wondering if my USDM CX harness will pass?)

4. The intake must be the original USDM air box, OR an intake that has a C.A.R.B sticker that is STRICTLY for the swapped motor. (Example: an AEM CAI for a GSR with a GSR motor will PASS, a AEM CAI for a Type R with a GSR motor will NOT pass)

5. The exhaust manifold MUST BE USDM, and if it is not O.E. then it must have a C.A.R.B sticker that matches the motor. I asked the ref. if they could really tell the difference between a stock USDM and JDM exhaust manifold, and he said that they have pictures for everything, and there are slight differences.

6. No adjustable FPR's, not unless it has a C.A.R.B. sticker. Does anyone know if the AEM FPR is C.A.R.B legal?

7. Must have a catalytic converter hooked up (this one is pretty obvious).

8. All USDM O.E. smog equipment MUST be hooked up and working properly!

*YOU ONLY GET TO VISIT THE SMOG REF. TWO TIMES TO TRY AND HAVE THE SWAPPED MOTOR PASS; AFTER THE SECOND TIME, IF IT DOESN'T PASS, I GUESS YOU ARE SHIT OUT OF LUCK*

THE BIG QUESTION THAT I FORGOT TO ASK:

By getting the C.A.R.B sticker, will my insurance find out about the swapped motor?

I hope this helps for all the Californian's who have a question about whether or not their JDM motor will pass smog. If anyone has any more information, please feel free to had to this thread.

Please only post information that you know to be TRUE, lets try and keep all the falacies out of here. The facts listed above are all valid, and they can be confirmed by calling your local smog referee.

California is much stricter then Washington it seems. I know you just have to pass here, no inspections unless it is dirty title. That's cool though that you will be swapping soon. I will be swapping at the end of the summer a typer into my car hopefully if I make enough money working for meh dad's company :p

So in cali, do they inspect like every part? Here in wa they just hook up stuff ande let you run on the mini dyno thingy. LOL I put 12 hp to the wheels a few weeks ago when I ran my car through inspections.

ya they are pretty strict over here.

hopefully ill get the b16 sir2? that has 170hp and something like 116tq.

im going to try and get it down bit by bit, to a reliable 12 second daily driver by boosting it,
and doing all the necessary steps to make it run like it should.
and the kicker? IT'LL BE A SLEEPER!!!!
only way to go in my opinion.....

hopefully, ill have it all said and done within a year from now.

i could really care less about "racing" other imports....
i dont goto street races.
i just want to be able to punk any and all domestics i encounter at stoplights.
that pretty much is the main reason why im doing this.

Originally posted by karnash@Mar 30 2003, 11:39 PM
i could really care less about "racing" other imports....
i dont goto street races.
i just want to be able to punk any and all domestics i encounter at stoplights.
that pretty much is the main reason why im doing this.

thats cause you dont want none of me! lol j/p man

congrats on getting the info and about to get your swap... as soon as i get money then my next thing is an exhaust so i can drive my car on the streets again

:p

cat back 5 zigen fireball anyone? B)

are you all motor 2 litre?

how did u blow ur engine the first time?

Sleepres are the only way to go dog. Black intercooler and a muffled bov. And sorry to say but if youre running a usdm ecu in order to pass smog, you wont be running 170hp off the bat, thats the timing and fuel map in the jdm ecu.

ya. the swap shop i called wanted an extra 600.00 to put in a usdm ecu instead of the jdm.

i guess ill just suck it up, and hopefully between now and a year and a half from now when smog is due
ill meet someone with a 00' si coupe that will let me "borrow" their ecu for my trip to the smog ref.

other than that, im not about to pay 600.00 for a usdm b16a2 ecu...

or just find a girlfriend with a good job and sweet talk her into sponsoring my ecu. :lol: :lol:

<<edit>> wont a black intercooler attract more heat due to the fact it is black?
my whole thing is to get my car as stock looking and sounding as possible. keep my gsr rims and a 1 1/2" drop and thats about it.

i honestly do not even want to get an exhuast if i can help it, or if i have to in order to open up the exhaust flow, im gonna try and find
the quietest (sp?) one possible, if thre is such a thing....

check the junkyards for that ecu...and maybe even find all the other emission stuff you need. the biggest yards around here are in san diego, near the mexican border. there are some smaller ones in ontario, and i think long beach. maybe check the recycler for junkyard advertisements. it sounds like that shop is quoting a new ecu from the honda dealer.

Originally posted by karnash@Apr 1 2003, 01:00 AM
are you all motor 2 litre?

how did u blow ur engine the first time?

yes sir i am all motor... my first LS/VTEC set up that i blew i was still in the process of breaking it in... RS Machining had told me to drive about 1000 miles and dont VTEC it too much until i feel totally comfortable with the car and it is past 1000 miles... well i didnt listen to their advice

i launched the car against my friend in his stock civic cause we were just messin around, and i didnt realize that with the knife edged crank i had in there the RPMs would spool up fast as fuck, the car reached about 11000RPM in first with ABSOLUTELY NO TRACTION, so i shifted into second, car started to grab but lost traction again and the RPMs shot up pretty high again, so i proceeded to shift into third, same thing happened and all i heard was a pop pop boom!!!

lol...

when i get the car back home to tear it apart... 4 retainers on the intake side BROKE and were being held in by the secondary valve spring [i had dual racing valve springs]... and in the machine shop thats call coil binding, and the guys at portflow told me that it was the worst case they've seen off a set of stock CTR Camshafts

:(

Originally posted by rixXxceboy@Apr 1 2003, 08:00 AM
check the junkyards for that ecu...and maybe even find all the other emission stuff you need. the biggest yards around here are in san diego, near the mexican border. there are some smaller ones in ontario, and i think long beach. maybe check the recycler for junkyard advertisements. it sounds like that shop is quoting a new ecu from the honda dealer.

i agree, check around at different junk yards and im sure you'll find an ECU somewhere in there... just try to find a junkyard with a 00Si in there and go through it ripping shit out

:p

Originally posted by 2 litre EG@Apr 1 2003, 12:26 PM
the RPMs would spool up fast as fuck, the car reached about 11000RPM in first with ABSOLUTELY NO TRACTION, so i shifted into second, car started to grab but lost traction again and the RPMs shot up pretty high again, so i proceeded to shift into third, same thing happened and all i heard was a pop pop boom!!!

ouch.

do you think a junkyard in so cali would have a 00 si just sitting around ?

i always thought junkyards out here had crappy cars...

Back