w00t! B20 time, bitches!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Don't use an adapter on a torque wrench. Ther was an article in hot rod mag that showed 10-15% errors when doing so. add that to the 5% from using crappy sockets and you can be way off

ok but still the adapter will throw you of i had a motor fail due to this.just buy the 14 and getter done. i wanna see 12 sat

Originally posted by CRVTEC@Dec 17 2004, 02:40 AM
Well, got pistons in today...
gallery_24518_228_1103269387.jpg

I was in Groveton putting my fuel pump in, when my roommate called me to let me know that they were there. He drove over, and we went ahead and put the pistons/rods in, only to find out that we didn't have the reducer to use a 10mm socket on the 1/2" torque wrench. Blah.
gallery_24518_228_1103269501.jpg

So we figure fuck it, we'll go ahead and put it at TDC and put the head and timing belt on. Can't torque the head with the 14mm because the smalles 1/2" drive socket I have is a 15. :doh:
gallery_24518_228_1103269573.jpg

Figure fuck it, we'll go ahead and put the valve cover on and take some pictures.
gallery_24518_228_1103269665.jpg

The goddamn hood doesn't close. I dont have any idea why, the B16 fit FINE. 'course, the B16 wasn't under the CF hood, but I doubt the CF hood is lower than the stock one. I dont know what I'm gonna do, I'm thinkin about cutting the hood out for the valve cover. It's not just like, a corner of the valve cover hitting the hood. It's the whole goddamn valve cover.

Don't know what I'm gonna do. All I need to do to get it running is torque everything down, put the cams on, and get a belt for the alternator. I gotta figure out something to do about the fucking hood though.

Any ideas?
[post=433551]Quoted post[/post]​

the hood doesn't close b/c the block is too tall...just put washers on the tranny mount and driver side mount to lower the motor a little more.

you should not be having that bad of a clearance issue it should be almost the same height as a gsr swap maybe the deck height on the b20/gsr block is the same- using washers to lower your motor is not some thing i think you(will) want to do specially seeing you went out and bought some mounts that are supposed to land that motor right in - i would check alignment of the block- one swap we did i noticed the motor sat just minorly laying towards the passanger side

even with the hydro mounts the motor will still sit higher. you have to trim the hood. same goes for any b18/gsr/b20/type r block. they are all taller.

You should be able to cut out just the bracing under the hood where the valve cover is to make it all fit.

but like he said he has a cf hood - never cut that before so i dont know how cutting it will affect it - other wise slap on the stocker for now

Back