w9 engine

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

asmallsol

Super Moderator
ATOM racing: W-9 engine

W9_engine_3.jpg

I want

Now I'm no engineer, and i didn't do a computer simulation, but having the intake plenums right next to the exhaust header (far bank) seems like a bad idea. Wouldn't the intake charge on that bank be significantly hotter than the other 2?

Hrm, interesting idea - but I think for the effort its more of an engineering experiment than a practical idea.

I've had similar idea with building a V8 block to accept two Honda DOHC VTEC heads, or building a V12 block to accept two 2JZ-GTE heads. :ph34r:

I guess I forgot to post this last week... I've been emailing it all over the place!

Now I'm no engineer, and i didn't do a computer simulation, but having the intake plenums right next to the exhaust header (far bank) seems like a bad idea. Wouldn't the intake charge on that bank be significantly hotter than the other 2?

I'm sure that's one of the reasons why the intakes are made of carbon fiber composite- it's a very good insulator.

I'm sure that's one of the reasons why the intakes are made of carbon fiber composite- it's a very good insulator.

still, if they reversed the flow of the far head, they could've avoided that issue entirely.

Also, I would love to see a V8 using 2 F20C Heads.

Or the 2JZ GTE V12. Quad Turbo?

:werd:
i need to see and more importantly hear that thing

I suppose... or he could have wanted to run 3 identical heads. Who knows? I doubt that he'll make his drawings public.

The nearest head flows the way I suggested the far one should flow as well. That way there would be exhaust next to exhaust, not intake. Cool engine, but what are it's advantages over conventional design?

The advantages are in his description.

As far as head flow... :shrug2:

Hrm, interesting idea - but I think for the effort its more of an engineering experiment than a practical idea.

I've had similar idea with building a V8 block to accept two Honda DOHC VTEC heads, or building a V12 block to accept two 2JZ-GTE heads. :ph34r:

Its called a north star v8 and its qock motor (4 cams over head)

Well, yeah. Theres plenty of DOHC V8's out there. I'm saying using the exsisting architechture of the B16 head and bolt it onto a block with Honda internals. How about a 9,800RPM 3.2L V8? Or better yet, how about a 6.0L V12 that can push crazy amounts of boost?

ATOM said:
[FONT=ARIAL,GENEVA,HELVETICA,SANS-SERIF]The measured weight of 105 kg together with an estimated power above 500 hp, gives a superior power to weight ratio.[/FONT]
[FONT=ARIAL,GENEVA,HELVETICA,SANS-SERIF]

nice...

Oh, and as far as the cooling problems... I know ya'll musta seen these:
W9_cf_tubing.jpg

I'm sure that helps with insulating it a lot... I think mike was touching on that a little bit...
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Back