wait for vista, or buy now?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

How is the new nForce chipset handling faster bus speeds? The whole reason I haven't run one is that the chipset will not allow much overclocking because it cannot handle high FSB speeds.

well for some reason its able to dish out 525 and 475 respectively on two different conroe chips.

on the amd platform, the nforces are a force to be recogn with. most of the dfi's and upper asus boards are able to go beyond the 300+ which is huge for an amd board. im stilling at 267 mhz myself from 200.

Not bad at all, I may have to look into an nForce board for my next build. Are the linux drivers for the nForce chipset in Kernel?

thats the good question...i really dont know.

it came out this week, so itll probably be a bit before you get that answer

Microsoft set a real release date for vista, some time in January. I heard it on the news today, when i was at the tire shop.

i might just end up waiting...

i'm a little out of budget this year, so it will be better to write off next year anyway in terms of getting the better rate on the discount from the write off.

so... jan 30th isn't that far off.

dont do it, vista's a trick. really. i dont know if you have to use cisco's vpn client to get into work, but dont make the upgrade unless your work OS is 64-bit. its not worth the hassle. (i found this out today when trying to figure out how to get someone on xp-64 to connect via cisco vpn....lets say it involves vmware and a fresh windows install).

yeah i do use the cisco vpn software...

i don't see why the OS matters.... i vpn through a pix, then to a domain controller.

Wow, the Cisco software sucks that badly??? I can't believe that they can't handle working with OS's that run on computers with different word sizes. Somebody needs to be fired and go beck to school because that is pathetic.

id hold off on the vista upgrade until cisco decides they want to release a vpn client that works on a 64 bit client system connecting to a 32bit host. I dont begin to understand why it doesnt work.

Although there is a linux cisco client floating around (found out after the fact, but the guy had a 100% NTFS drive) that works with 64bit oses.

And B is gonna die for this thread. Now im building a new computer....Luckily im pretty good at ocing and if i can get the FSB up to about 350 on this build (with 1:1 timings) i should be saving about $100 and still boosting system performance over the 6600 :)

(using my old case and optical drives)

2GB (2x1GB) Geil DDR2-800 RAM
DFI Infinity 975X motherboard
Intel E6400 Conroe Core
OCZ 600w GameXtreme PSU
Sapphire ATI 1900 GT 256MB (Not a big gamer, but i do play from time to time)
Dual BenQ 19" Monitors
and a new 320GB Hard Drive (Seagate)

Total Cost is around $1500. After Christmas ill probably save about 50-100 as long as i buy before new years.

Yup. Thats my christmas/housewarming present to myself.

Thanks for the idea B.

:)

Last edited:
Welp, i will be ordering this next week. I dont think B has bought his new desktop yet, thats why i brought this thread back.

Acer AL1917ABMD Black 19" 8ms DVI LCD Monitor - Retail
Item #: N82E16824009083
Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

-$10.00 Instant
$399.98
$379.98
($189.99 each)

eVGA 512-P2-N635-AR Geforce 7950GT KO 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Item #: N82E16814130061
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

$20.00 Mail-in Rebate
$260.99

HIPER HPU-4K530-MS ATX12V v2.2 530W Power Supply - Retail
Item #: N82E16817128006

$84.99

G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL4D-2GBPK - Retail
Item #: N82E16820231087

-$25.00 Instant
$247.99
$222.99

EVGA 122-CK-NF68-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813188010

$15.00 Mail-in Rebate
$229.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6300 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115005
Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

$188.00
Subtotal: $1,366.94

I like the new 680i boards. They seem to overclock really well, and according to tomshardware.com an duo E6300 (base model) overclocked to 3.2GHz is completely stable even on stock cooling. The only thing i hear about is make sure youre using a P965, P975 or 680i. Im goin with the 680i cause it has an overclock utility. Itll do all the work for me including changing proc, memory and GFX voltage. Pretty freakin sweet. Ill be ordering it at the begining of feb. Working nights has left me with quite a bit of money in the bank.

solid selections.. just some FYI, theyre releasing a cheaper processor the 4000 series which is same as the 6300 except no VT for 130ish and theyre upgrading the 6300 to 4MB of cache instead of the 2MB right now. oh yeah and why the eVGA boar?? thats pricey, jw.

oh yeah on the power supply, have you tried looking at the OCZs or Corsair ones? they're getting really solid reviews because theyre made by seasonic and roughly the same price of that hiper one.

what cha going to put all this in?? frys.com has the antec p180 for $80 AR. really nice case made for cooling and silence.

solid selections.. just some FYI, theyre releasing a cheaper processor the 4000 series which is same as the 6300 except no VT for 130ish and theyre upgrading the 6300 to 4MB of cache instead of the 2MB right now.

According to tomshardware (and a little of my own testing) the 6300 chips over clock well as long as its on a good board with memory that can handle the speed.

oh yeah and why the eVGA boar?? thats pricey, jw.

I chose the eVGA board because its a 680i board and i plan on overclocking. The new nVidia boards come with an overclocking utility that will OVERCLOCK YOUR CHIP FOR YOU. Itll even run the tightest timings available, and adjust your voltage for the CPU, Memory, GPU, etc.

oh yeah on the power supply, have you tried looking at the OCZs or Corsair ones? they're getting really solid reviews because theyre made by seasonic and roughly the same price of that hiper one.

I wanted a modular power supply. Thats the main reason. Hiper's supply is really solid. I was thinking about a gamestream powersupply (OCZ) but its not modular, and thats something i was really looking for.

what cha going to put all this in?? frys.com has the antec p180 for $80 AR. really nice case made for cooling and silence.

Im gonna put this into my old case along with my old DVD Burners and floppy drives. I gave most of my old system to my dad, but i still have the case and drives.

Lets see if they still sell my case on Newegg.

yup. Cooler Master Cavalier.

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER CAVALIER 3 CAV-T03-UK Black Computer Case - Retail

Back