1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wait... vtec or not? '96 Honda Civic EX

Discussion in 'Civic and del Sol - EG and EK' started by xCadet, May 27, 2011.

1. xCadet

xCadet New Member

The engine says it's a D16Y8, which, from what I've read have all been vtecs-- however, I never actually feel a 'kick,' though, y'know, it is an older car and there are many excuses to as why it wouldn't kick in such as a faulty sensor or somethin'. I was under the assumption that it wasn't a vtec, so I just.. bought a vtec head for it-- and I'm gonna forehead palm myself if my Honda is actually a vtec. I don't know what I should look for exactly to find out if it's a vtec or not. I know that Honda is very proud of their vtec's, and most vtec engines have "VTEC" proudly displayed on it, but yeaah, mine just says "HONDA."

Now, please don't hate me. I'm a 17 year old woman and I'm only beginning to learn about Honda's. I'm actually really enjoying working on my baby and learning about her. Yes, my civic is a she.
  2. TurboMirage

TurboMirage Finally boostin'

you wont feel a kick.

it has vtec.
  3. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator

VTEC doesnt "kick" on a SOHC... there is a barely noticeable audible change and thats about it
    many of the SOHC VTEC engines did not have VTEC printed on the valve cover

just look for the VTEC solenoid
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. xCadet

xCadet New Member

UGH.
    Anyways, how do I put this.. do you have any advice on getting this ol'motor up to shape again? I've changed the oil in it and replaced it with top-notch oil. I put preformance spark plugs, but I may replace them with slightly better ones. She has 180,000 miles on it, and I just bought a '99 civic ex vtec head for it that has 123,000 miles on it. Would that be compatable? And yes, I see that now. My engine has what's shown on it, just, rusty. When I first got her, she went 0-60 in 14.5 seconds, now it's 11.5 seconds.
  5. Fernpatch

Fernpatch Member

Sounds like you are on the right track. Start with filters, fluids and a tune up. With the miles on it you may want to consider changing the timing belt soon.
    Welcome to the honda community.
  6. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated

the head is not only compatible, it's probably pretty much identical to the one you have, and unless your has valve problems won't be worth swapping. Basic maintenance stuff like you've been doing, belts, fluids, filters, plugs (NGKs, no Bosch), and you'll be good, 180,000 is just broken in :)
  7. xCadet

xCadet New Member

Gah, what a noob mistake. WELL, ah well, it's a learning experience.

I installed NGK spark plugs, and now my idling seems a lot louder and rougher than before-- is that normal, or are they faulty?
  8. eg6sir

eg6sir Supa Mod Moderator

Media:
    are they gapped correctly?
  9. RHDism

RHDism Right Hand Drive guru

Resell the head you bought and have your existing head rebuilt.or vice versa. Rebuilding should include (valves,seats,springs etc. ) and a reputable shop.
    Oil changes and spark plugs will not signifantly improve performance. Unless your old plugs were FUBAR.
    GoodLuck 17 year old woman. :D

X2 on the sparkplug gap as far as a rougher idle or ticking.
    Just go with factory recommended plugs. Dont fall for the gimicks on plugs.
  10. D16SiHatch

D16SiHatch New Member

[​IMG]

can't tell if trolling...
  11. xCadet

xCadet New Member

I had the vtec head I bought looked at and they told me that it had been altered. The springs were made harder to push down, the frame of it was not factory, and the valves were larger, it seemed. I don't know if any of that would affect preformance. But I think I may just keep the head in case of anything happening to the one I have now. Or, I don't know. Meh.

I'm buying new spark plugs, and getting them put in my my mechanic instead of a friend just to make sure they're in correctly, ect.

But thank you all for your advice :)
  12. RHDism

RHDism Right Hand Drive guru

13. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Media:
    Im in the same boat D16Si. Seems like we've been having them lately.
  14. freezy

freezy New Member

you rick rolled me
  15. double0Si

double0Si ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Media: