Waiting For Windows to Boot!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

smarty009

i thought some of you linux guys out there would like this image...lol

12.bmp

I dont have any problems with my windows booting. hell i think it takes longer to boot into FC5 on my computer than it does to boot into XP pro.

Bare XP boots pretty quickly as long as the partition isn't fragmented. XP loaded down with all the garbage corporate IT usually makes you run is slow. I can boot and shutdown my Gentoo laptop almost 3 times in the time it takes my wife's XP to boot once (both are IBM T series, hers is a little newer).

This is interesting. Is usually Linux faster than windows? Because im building a mame system and i wouldnt want to wait for 2 mins for XP to boot.

ill say that fedora boots just about as fast as xp on my mom's computer (i have trouble getting kernels to like my laptop).

that means ill have to create a partition and find a fedora or cent disk (yeah, i like bitch distros). Give it time.

no problem. If you ever want a hand working out a kernel config for your hardware let me know. One of the beauties of running gentoo is every kernel I run is custom. :)

i read all this shit about linux kernels hating dothan core procs. I havent done enough research to figure out why its not starting. If i spent some of my day at work researching that instead of talkin to yall, i might have a laptop with a decent linux install on it.

I am running a Dothan processor right now. Usually not booting is a matter of not getting the driver for something required on the MB (like the IDE controller). Comparing your kernel config to your lscpi output should show you what you need.

Back