1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wang's Auto in New Hampshire...kind of a rant

Discussion in 'NorthEast' started by Si950, Sep 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Si950

Si950 Member

I just got an LS/VTEC built and installed in my 2000 Si. I'm running a P28 ECU with an eBay chip in it right now, and it's running ok, but it could definitly be better. So I called Wang's about getting some tuning done and what kind of engine management systems he's used...let's just say it was an interesting phone call.

First, the guy tells me that he won't tune an engine unless it has an MSD ignition system. I asked if he had the equipment to tune a Hondata system...no he doesn't. Then I asked him what he thought about the AEM EMS system. He told me that he's had one for a while, that he can't get anything running with it, and that the only people who can tune them are AEM's engineers. During all of this, he's trying to sell me about $3000 of headers and MSD equipment that I don't need.

I told him that I'm an engine builder, I built this engine myself, and that I can tune it myself but I need a dyno to do it. He starts rambling on about how you need all these extra bolt-on parts to tune it. I then tell him that I'm busy at work (which I really was) and that I would call him back later. He then says "Ok, but remember, a lot of people who call themselves engine builders and tuners are just hacking and don't really know what they're doing." He then made some comment about how if I call him then he doesn't have to "waste" his money on the phone call.

Who runs a business like that? I wouldn't take my car there if someone paid me. I'll be calling NEDyno at lunch, and I'll probably be ordering an AEM EMS early next week.

Anyone actually ever been to his place?

2. Celerity

Celerity Well-Known Member

This may be a common way for New Hampshireites to do business.

coughdropcough

-> Steve

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

Wang! pay attention!!!!

:D

sounds shady fo' sho'

and i'd go hondata over aem anyday

4. quicksi

quicksi Senior Member

yep...hes not bad, you just have to know how to take him.....in very small doses....... :D

5. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

sore throat?

or been waiting for a manifold for a year? :roll:

6. Si950

Si950 Member

Just curious...why would you go Hondata over AEM? I'm still deciding between the two.

7. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

simply put, aem is overkill in a street car. and NOTHING will idle or start a honda like a honda ecu.

8. Si950

Si950 Member

It just sucks that to get a Hondata s200 setup and be able to tune it yourself costs about $900. For $1250, I can get an AEM that has a lot more tuning options. I'm installing a NOSzle kit once I get the N/A end of things tuned correctly, and I like AEM's nitrous control options.

Has anyone had any experience with the AEM and how a Honda does actually idle with it? That's the only concern I have with the AEM.

9. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

10. driver1

driver1 Senior Member

I have been to wangs in new hampshire, he actually knows what he is doing hes the only person that could tell me what was wrong with my car when it wouldnt start after the swap. he has an integra with a stock internal b18c5 runnin 12's which is pretty good ive been thinkin of taking my car to him to have it tuned. I could understand how someone would come off thinkin as you are though because he seemed odd to me at first to. but i talked to him for awhile and he certainly knows hondes inside and out. hes got tons and tons of honda parts at his shop. weird and acts like he knows it all yes but he really is a good tuner he showed me dyno sheets of stuff he tuned and he did pull between 15 and 60 horse out of everything he tuned

11. ScrapinSi

ScrapinSi Senior Member

matt?? seem odd??? noooo.... ;) :p

12. liquid00meth

liquid00meth Senior Member

AEM is overly complicated unless you have a drag car

13. dveit

dveit Well-Known Member VIP

AEM is just plain overrated.

I'd go with Hondata. :thumbsup:

14. SleEPeR_CRX

SleEPeR_CRX Senior Member

i have 2 friends running teh aem, both have had hondata, loved it, but wanted more tuning. 1 has a built b16 on turbo and nitrous, the other has is building a strickly race b18c1 turbo civic. they love it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.