wanna buy a bike, suggestions?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

c97x

sorry boss, its turbo
so this spring i think im gonna buy a bike, there so sexy i gotta have one. i've had my eye on the zx-6r i know there are other choices but id like to see some input as to diffrent 600's. the other question would be, do i gte a starter bike first, something like the zx-250r just to learn how to handle the bike.

dont say something crazy like a hayabusa or zx-12r cuz i am 5'5'' and 135 pounds there's no way i could handle a machine that big

pick up a used 600 thats a few years old with no mods on it
and get some fucking gear

Don't bother buying a starter bike that's less than 600cc because you will ride it for 2 weeks, get the hang of it, and then want something more powerful.

I'm with E, buy a used CBR F4 and a helmet and some leathers. Good luck and be safe.

Last edited:
get a honda

how old are you?

i usually advise someone to get a starter bike
especially someone that 5'5" and 135lbs
i'd be suprised if your feet touch flat foot with any of the 600's

get a brand new 250r. ride it for a year and sell it for the exact same price you bought it.

do yourself a favor. walk into dealership that carries the 250/500/1000/1400 and say exactly this.

"I'm 135 and i'm buying my first bike ever, what should I get?"

Come back and post their answer.

im 20 years old and always wanted a bike, i know at some point im going to have to nut up and ride a 600

get a brand new 250r. ride it for a year and sell it for the exact same price you bought it.

Yeah like that happens, 250s and 500s on the used market hold their values really well but only after they take the initial hit.

who the hell wants to buy a bike someone learned on for the same price as a zero mile bike?

Find a used 1990-2002 Ninja 250/500 ride it for a few months and sell it, that is when you're able to sale it for the price you paid, there is a big market for them and they can be easily sold.

Will you get tired of it after a few months? Yes, will you drop it? chances are maybe once or twice. Will you care? no, don't waste your money on anything other then a cheap starter bike and then move on to a 600. Unless you have great throttle control and a good head on your shoulder I wouldn't do anything larger then a 600, even if its your 2nd bike.

so this spring i think im gonna buy a bike, there so sexy i gotta have one. i've had my eye on the zx-6r i know there are other choices but id like to see some input as to diffrent 600's. the other question would be, do i gte a starter bike first, something like the zx-250r just to learn how to handle the bike.

YES ! Get the 250 first. do NOT get caught up in the "I need a 600cc bike" horseshit. A 600 CC bike is like saying "I NEED a Ferrari for my first car". I learned on a 250, and now I can do those parking lot maneuvers that motorcycle police do with my 600 (And almost my 1200). You need to graduate to powerful bikes.

Everyone I know that said "A 250 is a girls bike" or "a 250 is too slow" has wound up wrapped around a tree on their 600+ cc bike because they couldn't handle it. TRUST ME - you need to graduate to those levels.

Alittle story: I started off with a 250 earlier this year. I rode that bike EVERYWHERE, even on days-long highway trips, at a screaming 10k RPMs. I had no accidents, a few mis-haps that I recovered from, and learned a lot with that bike.

Then I traded it in on a 2001 ZX12R. Biiiiiiiiig mistake. I haven't wrecked yet, but I'm WAY too junior to handle that machine. I realise it. I haven't got enough experience to make perfect judgement calls. It's like moving from a Civic to a Veyron with 9 months driving experience. nooo way. I'm trading it in.

[/quote]dont say something crazy like a hayabusa or zx-12r cuz i am 5'5'' and 135 pounds there's no way i could handle a machine that big[/quote]

I'm 5'6" and 135 lbs and ride my ZX12. It's lighter than you might imagine, and easy to handle. But it takes full 100% focus at all times, which makes riding it a real fatigue. I miss my 250.

I have a 1985 GPZ600R (The Ninja 600ZZ) and it's perfect. E_solSi is completely correct. Get something low powered, used and GEAR UP. I ride with about 1000$ of gear all the time, 100 degrees or not. Get the best you can.

If you can finance, then go to a bike shop and finance the new 08 250R - then you can toss in all that gear and finance it too. Be smart about riding, and not reckless. Reckless gives you cred now, but reckless riders never ride for more than 2 seasons. Do it for the right reasons.

IF you do get a bike, welcome aboard ! We have a motorcycle forum here, open the threads to "any date" and read them all. IT's the off season, so the topics are slow right now, but there is a ton of good articles there.

Yeah like that happens, 250s and 500s on the used market hold their values really well but only after they take the initial hit.

who the hell wants to buy a bike someone learned on for the same price as a zero mile bike?
well, not EXACTLY for what you buy it for. I bought my '06 250 for $3100 brand new and sold it for $2800. Not a big loss. I put 1800 miles on it.

well, not EXACTLY for what you buy it for. I bought my '06 250 for $3100 brand new and sold it for $2800. Not a big loss. I put 1800 miles on it.

I'd rather buy a beater bike for 1000 and sell it for 1000 =)~ Better then spending almost 12 for my bike then running it into a tree.

Wrong forum.

Take an MSF course. And figure out what kind of riding you're going to do after that. BUY good gear. Stay away from cheap helmets and such. Anything under 300 bucks for a helmet is very questionable. I had an arai rx-7 and it was the best money could buy. But if you think about it. WOULD YOU buy anything less than the best to protect your head? I WILL NEVER.

I had a gsx-r 600. took a baby drop but it was no big deal. I was 6' 180ish and I was flat footed on it. My roommate is 5'6 and couldn't touch ground on it. I'm a very conservative person and I had never been pulled over before, and I rarely speed. I took the advanced msf course and learned how to ride aggressively through the twisties the proper way and not by how my "buddies" did. I respected my machine and drivers around me, and I'm here to say you can start on a superbike, but but but, you can't be a fricking retard. I have lost two friends on bikes and ceased to own mine.

At that I will buy another one, but not until I have enough cash to pay cash for it and its more usable than it was for me up here in washington. I have other priorities in life right now than risking my life.

So you're not riding anymore ?

Also, a few things I would like to correct:

Don't get anything, bike or car, based on resale. It's totally worth it to you, then that's all thats important. Most experienced bikers own 2 or more machines. I am still thinking of getting my 250 back. No matter how experienced, now matter how many years of riding, a 14 second 85 mpg bike is AWESOME.

The helmet thing: It doesn't have to be $300 or more to be good. It's just never $140 or less :) There are Carbon fiber helmets for $600 or more, but they are good for track and not for traffic. Big difference. SNELL and DOT. That's all you need to remember.

And if you feel that riding a bike is the only way to "risk my life" then you must also be of the mindset that people only die on bikes, and never die in cars. Don't subscribe to the whole "risking life". It's all a measured risk - everything you do. If it's not your cup of tea, then don't do it. If it is, then do it.

Riding a bike to me is an andrenaline rush. If you know me in person, I'm a hardcore skiier, hardcore wakeboarder, I river raft, mountain climb from time to time, and have a very high degree of risk working construction. I'm also a very cautious person in how I do these things, and that included riding motorcycles. I do ride from time to time on my buddy's bikes, but I do not own one right now, as it wasn't a responsible thing for me at this time.

I miss said what I meant. My priorities at the moment don't have room for a motorcycle as it is another risk on my plate that I can't afford. Literally, monetarily.

AND YES> there is a huge difference in construction from an icon helmet to an arai. You're telling me, one helmet isn't going to be more preventative from a serious head injury than another based on the engineering and not the minimal certification that snell and dot approve. You and I both know better. That's like saying a volvo isn't safer than a honda because they both receive the minimal certification from the same people. And tossing in the comparision of a cf helmet is like tossing in a mini cooper into the mix.

But given the fact that this vehicle houses the most important part of your body, your head, I'd protect it the best as possible.

and yes I drive a tc, and I know it isn't as safe as a volvo.

Slammed, heres the biggest difference.

HJC = heavy and not as comfy
higher priced helmets, = lighter and more comfy.

I've yet to hear of a single crash with a lesser helmet that hasn't done its job, and unlike most people on here, I'm on the motorcycle forms.

Most problems with helmets are either not sized right, or they are not buckled right. thankfully its very rare to hear about either.

If cash is limited, I'd rather see him in.

Gloves
Jacket
Pants
Boots
and cheap helmet

Then to have a nice helmet cheap gloves and a jacket.

Again just make sure its SNELL and DOT rated.

FWIW when I go out riding with a girl on the back I let them use my HJC I think it was $129.99 maybe 149.99 at the most.
I wouldn't do that if I didn't trust my own head in it. Again its a big comfort thing.

It's like buying a $79.99 pair of dress shoes, they'll do the job but the $249.99 pair will feel much better. both do the same job in the end....

Last edited:
AND YES> there is a huge difference in construction from an icon helmet to an arai. You're telling me, one helmet isn't going to be more preventative from a serious head injury than another based on the engineering and not the minimal certification that snell and dot approve.

Bottom line, they build a helmet that is much lighter and better with wind flow/noise and comfort, at the same time provides the protection of a much heavier helmet. THAT is what you're paying for.

Is it better when in a crash..... I've yet to see anything that shows that it is. Only thing I've seen is a lot of "it is because it is...."

ICON gear is really top notch.. I always find myself back there.

Everyone has their own "most important" gear. For my friend (On a HUGE cruiser) it's footwear. For him, proper foot wear is the key item. For my other friend (on a sport bike) it's always gloves. For me, it's the jacket. But Helmet is always there.. it's not a matter of "important" but it's so mandatory that it's not even worth discussing.

Your head is soft, and even the slightest hit leaves you drooling on your shirt. Your brain is in there, in case you didn't know. An ICON helmet is great, and I am getting one this year - but they are thick and FULL of padding, making for a hot day. I have 6 helmets so far, 3 real jackets, 2 pairs of pants (that I wear whenever I'm on the highway, group riding and touring). My shoes, and I'm embarassed, are only whatever I happen to be wearing. I need to get more conducive shoes for the activity.

I have like, 12 pairs of gloves, all motorcycle gear. ICON is my favorite for my short, stubby fingers.

its true that a helmet is a helmet. And a hit hard enough to crack a $100 helmet will crack a $1000 helmet. The difference is the fit, weight, and noise deadening. I wont go cheap on a helmet.

Gear is very important.

Find a bike you fit on. A 250 is a good starter and great commuter bike. 500 is a good choice also. An older 600 is good financially. The thing is, you need to swallow any ego you might have with this one. Be conservative.

Oh yes, with sound...

This is a serious thing. My 250 was quiet as a mouse, the Vespa is quiet (of course) but the wind noise DOES hurt your hearing. The loud ass pipes only hurt your ears worse. After a few days in the off-season, I got my hearing back.. and I wear a tight noise deadening helmet.

Loud pipes are a cause of contention among lots of people. There are people that believe they help by bringing attention to you, and others (such as myself) realise that even if you were covered in thousands of lights and sirens, people will still steer right into you. I keep the pipes quieter for my own comfort and the other people that I ride with (my friend with the two brother's cannon rides in the back because no one can stand to be around it)

Hearing protection is something you really need to concentrate on, prioritise and examine. If your ears are being affected, and you can't hear things that you used to - then by all means get a few nice pairs of plugs. A full helmet with good padding also helps (When you're trying it on in the store, it should deaden the sound of the store, and people should be heard, but muffled)

I'm big on riding with ear plugs, once you do it, you'll never go back. ear plugs help cover up the wind noise allowing you to hear everything else around you from the exhaust, chain, to the cars around you.

Hearing damage from riding motorcycles is pretty common. Even if you're wearing a full face helmet, there's lots of wind noise in there.

Back