1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

want bigger rear brakes!

Discussion in 'Wheels / Suspension / Tires / Brakes' started by Taco15, May 6, 2005.

1. Taco15

Taco15 I wear stretchy pants VIP

well i want bigger brakes and dont know where to turn since im not familiar with this type of swap. Ive already have 90 integra disc brakes on my rex. Is there a car i can get them from or do i have to order some hi-performance ones online?

2. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

All the stock disc brakes are 9.5 inches in the rear. Go hit up FastBrakes.

3. VTECPOWER

VTECPOWER Senior Member

If you decide to go with the fastbrakes setup, would you want to sell your 90 integra rear disc setup?
    I have a 88 crx dx project car and i am looking for disc brakes that would work for the rear, 90 integra disc brakes w/ ebrake cables would work? correct?

4. phunky.buddha

The FastBrakes setup will still use his trailing arms and spindles, so you won't be able to use his leftovers to convert your CRX. He'll only have the discs left over from the original setup.

5. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Why do you want bigger brakes in the rear? Do yours not work?

6. Seany-izzle

Seany-izzle New Member

seriously, wouldnt you want bigger brakes in the front more than in the back???

7. VTECPOWER

VTECPOWER Senior Member

*Not trying to thread jack*
    But does anyone know where i can find a rear disc setup that will work on my crx?

8. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Junkyard, Hmotorsonline, hondaautomotiveparts? Lots of places.

9. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

:werd: and :werd:

upgrading the rears without upgrading the fronts will only cause the rear to lock up prematurly (this can be fun, but more often than not, it will just be dangerous)
    if you are planning on going with something larger than the 9.6" rears you are going to need something at least 11"+ in the front

a side question, when upgrading to the rear disk setup did you switch out the proportioning valve for one from a car that had 4 wheel disk brakes?
    if not that will cause your rears to not get the full ammount of fluid (braking force) that they should be getting, thus limitting the braking ability of your rears

10. Taco15

Taco15 I wear stretchy pants VIP

damn sorry im late. I'm getting my new comp. setup as we speak. I just want it for looks. And the front brakes already have been upgraded so dont worry i got that taken care of. They all work and like i said i just want it for looks. Thanks for the advice i'm gonna see the website fastbrakes.

11. phunky.buddha

That's a lot of money for just looks... it's really not necessary. I'm running 11 inchers all around, and it's pretty nice- I just hope that you have the fronts upgraded to the point where running 11 inches in the back won't upset your brake balance.

12. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

:bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash:

13. 92dxhatch

92dxhatch Senior Member

:bo:

14. vtecsir1

vtecsir1 Senior Member

if you want it for looks just buy those gay brake covers that look like big rotors

[​IMG]

15. 92dxhatch

92dxhatch Senior Member

GOING FOR LOOKS IS THE DUMBEST THING YOU CAN DO.
    now i would understand if it were nessesary to your application and they just look good on there(i.e. auto X or drag) but its a WASTE of money if your not going to use the full potential of your brakes.

if you are building a basic street car, theres no reason to have em.

if you are building a street/autox car, then yes, you'll need em.

in either case, make sure your getting them for the right reasons.

NOT FOR LOOKS.

good luck though

16. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

Even for autocross, you don't need upgraded rear discs. Hell even for road racing, your pushing it. On the 3 time winning Touring Car Manufacturers’ Championship RealTime racing type R's, they all had HUGE front brakes with the stock tiny rear brakes. There is no need for larger rear brakes. There is zero weight in the rear anyways. If you throw more braking force, lock up and spin outs are inevitable. Chances are, if you want better braking, up to better pads all around. I run cobalt frictions and I LOVE them. On a road course, they perform well, and on the street, other then being a little noisy, they are great.

17. 92dxhatch

92dxhatch Senior Member

REALLY?? NOT AT ALL, i would think better braking in the rear would help, besides, don't you want them to be like 60/40 or maybe 65/35 braking.

18. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

:withstupid:
    other than the fact that i run hawk hp+ pads on mine :)

edsited to add quote
    damnit i type too slow

19. asmallsol

asmallsol Super Moderator

Rear brakes really don't do much for your braking. They are there to stablize the car when braking. If not, the large amount of nose dive would cause the back of the car to slightly rise, shifting the center of mass foward, and would cause the car to become squirly

20. K2e2vin

K2e2vin Senior Member

Well if youve already upgraded the fronts; you can look into doing a DC5/EP3 caliper conversion. this will allow you to run 10.3" EP3 4-lug rotors(you can use the DC5s but you will have to drill them unless you have 5-lug conversion). The calipers have to be reversed(Right caliper on Left side of car, etc.) so they would have to be bleed while not connected to the trailing arm.

or

you can get the powerslot big brake upgrade kit; 11" rotors but with stock caliper.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted