want bigger rear brakes!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

thank you :) i dont mean to sound rice guys :ph34r: . Once i rebuild the tranny (3rd gear syncro) i plan on taking for some races. I want to be sure that i have enough stopping power. My rear brakes look tiny but i realized it due to to the calipers. I thought i had to upgrade the discs in order to get bigger pads. Now that i heard all of HS opinions im really not sweating it, since i do have enough stoppin power in the front. Thanks guys. I'm leaving on Monday again for work so i wonr be able to check my email again. Except on weekends.
Taco :D

Originally posted by vtecsir1+May 12 2005, 01:15 PM-->
if you want it for looks just buy those gay brake covers that look like big rotors
[post=498462]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd: :lol:

Originally posted by 92dxhatch@May 12 2005, 02:48 PM
GOING FOR LOOKS IS THE DUMBEST THING YOU CAN DO.
now i would understand if it were nessesary to your application and they just look good on there(i.e. auto X or drag) but its a WASTE of money if your not going to use the full potential of your brakes.

if you are building a basic street car, theres no reason to have em.

if you are building a street/autox car, then yes, you'll need em.

in either case, make sure your getting them for the right reasons.

NOT FOR LOOKS.

good luck though
[post=498517]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope. I wouldn't bother upgrading the rear for drag or autocross at all. Drag = just stop once = just upgrade the front; autocross = real quick lap, no time to warm up or overload the pads/rotors = just upgrade the front.

Originally posted by asmallsol@May 12 2005, 04:07 PM
Even for autocross, you don't need upgraded rear discs. Hell even for road racing, your pushing it. On the 3 time winning Touring Car Manufacturers’ Championship RealTime racing type R's, they all had HUGE front brakes with the stock tiny rear brakes. There is no need for larger rear brakes. There is zero weight in the rear anyways. If you throw more braking force, lock up and spin outs are inevitable. Chances are, if you want better braking, up to better pads all around. I run cobalt frictions and I LOVE them. On a road course, they perform well, and on the street, other then being a little noisy, they are great.
[post=498547]Quoted post[/post]​

:thumbsup:

Originally posted by 92dxhatch@May 12 2005, 05:13 PM
REALLY?? NOT AT ALL, i would think better braking in the rear would help, besides, don't you want them to be like 60/40 or maybe 65/35 braking.
[post=498574]Quoted post[/post]​

Read above. I upgraded mine somewhat for bling factor, but more because I actually do hit 140-150 on straights in the Civic. It's not hard. Balance is key when you're diving into a rough transition and entering a sweeper at the limits of adhesion and at triple digit speeds. You want to really manage your contact patches well. Even still, I probably don't need the big rears, and it's still not balanced perfectly- I need more adjustment time.

Taco15
@May 13 2005, 06:46 PM
thank you :) i dont mean to sound rice guys :ph34r: . Once i rebuild the tranny (3rd gear syncro) i plan on taking for some races. I want to be sure that i have enough stopping power. My rear brakes look tiny but i realized it due to to the calipers. I thought i had to upgrade the discs in order to get bigger pads. Now that i heard all of HS opinions im really not sweating it, since i do have enough stoppin power in the front. Thanks guys. I'm leaving on Monday again for work so i wonr be able to check my email again. Except on weekends.
Taco :D
[post=498968]Quoted post[/post]​

:thumbsup:

A street car looks more balanced with larger front brakes anyway- especially a front drive car.

Back