want hondata

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

typesiracing

this is my situation right now i have a ls/vtec setup(b16 head on a gsr block with ls internals) in the making....the only ecu's i have are stock d15s so i'm gonna need to upgrade.....i want hondata.......someone told me to get a p28 cause its cheaper and chip it to a dohc program...

question one: do i need to still chip it to a dohc program if i go with hondata?
question two: would it be cheaper to get a p72, no chipping, then hondata?

what do you guys think? thanks

isn't the P28 a obd 1, and p72 a obd 2,
for some reason people say that obd1 is better to upgrade, it responds better to the upgrades, *I don't know why?

the type R is obd1, so there should be some + to obd,
get the p28, why you need to chip the p28,

what you mean by chip it, cuz if you want to change the Red line this isn't worth it, but if you get a hondata you don't need to chip any thing because hondata lets you play with the fuel maps and shit like that,

why would you spend money and chip it?

no, p72 can be either obd1 or 2...you do have to chip a p28 for it to run a dohc properly....my opinion would be to get the p72 and hondata with it.

ok so it does have to still be chipped then i guess the obd 1 version of the p72 would be the best bet ...thanks

the best option will depend on which intake manifold you have.
If you have a GSR intake manifold you need an ECU that can control the butterfly valve in the manifold.
If you have a skunk2, edelbrock, etc. manifold that is only a single runner, a chipped P28 will work fine.

several good options for a butterfly manifold:
-Chipped P72. Expensive, will work great. honda knock is all but useless, but if you want to monitor it you will need a P72 or P30.
-P75 LS converted to run vtec. Somewhat less available due to fewer people doing conversions. Cheaper, will run IABs quite nicely. No knock monitoring, but who cares?
-P28 ECU with IAB control added. Again, somewhat harder to find due to fewer people doing conversions. Runs great when done right.
-P06 ECU with vtec and IAB added. Again, somewhat harder to find due to fewer people doing conversions. Runs great when done right.
-P05 ECU with vtec, IAB, O2 heater added. Again, somewhat harder to find due to fewer people doing conversions. Runs great when done right.

If you have a single runner manifold, any of the above options will work fine. A simple chipped P28 or P05/06 conversion without the IAB circuitry will work fine.

I have a standing offer: send two P05 or P06 ECUs and $7 to cover return shipping, and I'll send you back a vtec ECU. If you want me to do the IAB conversion too, not an issue. I'll ship the ECU back with the CN2 pins installed for easy hookup of your S100/S200 box too. Many satisfied customers + references.

So much bad info.

If you're getting Hondata, you just need to socket your computer. Hondata will do this for you.

P28 only came OBD1
P72 came OBD1, OBD2a and OBD2b

Go P28 if you are using any DOHC other than GSR or H22 and don't want a knock sensor

Go P72 is you are going DOHC H22 or GSR and/or would like a knock sensor.

There is also the P30, which is similar to the P28, only it has the ability to use the knock sensor.

So many other varieties too, but make sure you get a OBD1 ecu either way.

that's what I said too, HOndata does all this non sense for you, any wayz, so it doesn't matter obd1 obd2 or watever,

Originally posted by Sergey P.A.@Feb 13 2004, 01:05 AM
that's what I said too, HOndata does all this non sense for you, any wayz, so it doesn't matter obd1 obd2 or watever,

obd matters more than anything.....where the fuck you get your info?

since you have a b16 head, go with the p28.

you do NOT chip the ecu for dohc specs. thats what people do with mugen chips, etc to run stupid rich.

what you do is socket the ecu for the hondata eeprom chip, which is writable by hondata. If you aren't comfortable with this, you can buy pre-socketed p28s from hondata or any dealer. That's what I did, cuz my hand is far from steady. i'd never trust myself socketing it in that tiny area.

they even give you a cool cover thats cut too:

DSC00637.JPG

:)

if you are obd2, buy a 2->1 conversion harness and still run the p28.
if you are obd1, you need'nt do anything
if you are obd0, you are going to have some things to change (dizzy, injectors...) to run the p28, or run the old stage 2/3/4 system on a pr3 ecu

edit: god my car's a mess... lol

Back