Want to Restore a stang

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

FFCiv

Now that i have my pos saab beater it is time for me to look for a car to restore with my uncle. He definately has the know how as he has restored 2 of them in the past. (he's a muscle car addict: he's done: 69 camaro, 72 monte carlo, 70 chevelle, 69 chevelle, 7_ corvette (stingray i think), a 'cuda, 84 camaro, 36 coupe, and theses are just a few I can think of off the top of my head)
I really like 60s mustang coupes. any ideas what is different about each year? know anyone selling one that needs to be restored?
Any known issues?
any good sites?

My father and I are planning on doing a 1970 mach 1. They're pretty much the same as all the other mustangs, but you don't see as many of them as others. The mustangs handle well for their time, and can crank out some fairly good power. you'll just have to do some research on these cars, it's just like Hondas, you can find totally amazing ones, and others that are total pos. Good luck at bringing back the dead....

PM me if you want a 5.0 and a tranny for a cheap deal, like $25, you'll hae to pick it up, or pay for shipping...

Originally posted by djyox@Jan 12 2004, 08:00 PM
PM me if you want a 5.0 and a tranny for a cheap deal, like $25, you'll hae to pick it up, or pay for shipping...

i might have to take u up on that depending on what i get!

I like different cars, so here's a couple to look up. 66,67,68(what I've got w/455),or 69 toronado. FWD beasts. 1971 Buick Riviera boattail. A 68 Firebird is tight. 65 Mustang is a POS, but highly collectible, so worth it if you find one. Dodge Challenger, Superbird. An old Hemi would be cool. 76 Firebird w/455.

Just enjoy whatever you get.

old school Mustangs :thumbsup:

my step mom has a 66 drop top Mustang thats been fully restored. its rangoon red with a white top and black interior. it just has the stock 289 but shes not concerned about power...just cruising in the summer time. anyway she maybe drives it 2-3 times a year and keeps it covered in my dad's barn back in Virginia. i cant drive it much less breathe on it :(

Personally, I'd love to restore a '66 fastback...everytime I see that car i want one...something about it's lines... ;)

put in a 351 Cleveland. awesome car motor for Ford.

Originally posted by Iron 1@Jan 13 2004, 02:27 AM
put in a 351 Cleveland. awesome car motor for Ford.

351 Windsor is better. :p

But I still don't get a woody for an old Mustang, Get a 69 Camaro SS and then I'd be at your house everyday asking to help detail it, for free. :D

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Jan 13 2004, 02:29 AM
:mullet:

Bah, gotta love bringin' the old school classics back to life. The sense of pride is awesome. you find an old pos all rusted out, and when you're done it looks like it just came out of the showroom. almost like you and the sol, when it gets done.

I can see it now, another argument on which motor is best...We'll argue for 5 pages on Hondaswap about classic V8's, and still get no-where. They should have made 1 motor and 1 motor only...The wankel Rotary.

Originally posted by Iron 1@Jan 13 2004, 02:42 AM
They should have made 1 motor and 1 motor only...The wankel Rotary.

So we all could come on here and complain about how our coolant keeps disappearing and how we just toasted another engine. :p :p

Anywho.... 351 windsor, 351 whatever....the 396 Chevy in the old school SS owns all.*

*personal opinion, and don't give a fuck otherwise. :lol:

Originally posted by revolution8k@Jan 13 2004, 03:00 AM
So we all could come on here and complain about how our coolant keeps disappearing and how we just toasted another engine. :p :p

never seen one with a disappearing coolant problem
they do use oil up quickly, but thats normal (they use oil in the combustion process)

and i have yet to see an engine that can take a beating like a rotary
they get the shit beat out of them every day all day for a solid 100k miles
then they die

even then who gives a fuck you can swap out the old engine and get a new one in there in 3 hours or less

Originally posted by E_SolSi+Jan 13 2004, 03:12 AM-->
revolution8k
@Jan 13 2004, 03:00 AM

never seen one with a disappearing coolant problem
they do use oil up quickly, but thats normal (they use oil in the combustion process)

and i have yet to see an engine that can take a beating like a rotary
they get the shit beat out of them every day all day for a solid 100k miles
then they die

even then who gives a fuck you can swap out the old engine and get a new one in there in 3 hours or less

Well, personally I'm just going off what I've read about, I don't have any experience with a rotary.

I always here horror stories of seals breaking due to excessive heat (which is common for rotories) and leaking coolant into the combustion chambers, which causes them to eventually over heat/blow up/seize.

Mazda did a lot of warrenty work on the early rx7 turbos because of this.

Back