want your input

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

no kidding esol you know your stuff that is for sure. I pretty much thought coilovers are to lower the car's ride height to drop the center of gravity and make it handle better. but apparently I was wrong. and as for charles' comment on people shitting on everyone's hopes and dreams I know what you mean. Its even more than that sometimes on this site. I posted a thread asking about a good all motor aftermarket intake manifold for my d16y8. I don't plan on running boost on the motor til I have the motor built to handle it. I can't afford to be going through motors every month. lol But the responses I got were in the ball park of....buying an intake manifold will make you lost low end power, and would end up not being worth the money. no offense guys but I didn't ask that. I asked the best all motor intake manifold application... I just don't get it people jump on other people because in their eyes they are building their car backwards, well it is their car, and their money if they have a question and you have input throw it in. but negative input should be limited to the pros and cons side of it.

the thing is... a lot of people put coilovers on their car without tuning them properly, and while the ride is lower and stiffer its actually handling worse than it was with stock equipment at the stock ride height... and setting them properly is not as easy as simply counting threads on the sleeve (seen that done before too)... also lower is not always better... i see a ton of cars slammed out with FUCKED UP suspension geometry... these cars handle like ass... but the owners swear that they are great... then they would get all butt hurt when i would walk all over them in a bone stock honda insight :D... there is a lot more to a proper suspension setup than simply lowering the car... when properly tuned coilovers are amazing... when not tuned... well... you get the idea

as for the intake manifold (i know this isn't the right thread but ill touch on that here)
the D16Y8 IM is actually VERY good... its often referred to as the ITR manifold of the D series... i personally haven't done much with D series engines other than a reverse mini me when i killed the bottom end on my old D16Z6 and put the block from a D15 i had laying around in until i got the rest of my parts for my swap situated.... but the Y8 manifold is very good from what i have read and been told... as far as a better one for all motor... I'm not sure you will find one that is worth the money... (its like swapping the ITR manifold for the Skunk2 model... its just not worth it)... for boost I'm sure there might be better ones out there... but again i have never really done much with a D series, and I'm not really into turbos at all... so I'm not much help here.... what i would suggest is looking through magazines and on line at racers who are running turbo'd D series' and look at what they are running.... it will take some time to weed out the ones who are running shit because their sponsors pay for it or whatever... but you will start seeing patterns... if most of the successful racers out there are running _________ manifold... chances are its a good product

thats about the best i can do for you on that one

ahhhhh... in that case i would either check out ebay or the classifieds section for another Y8 mani or start looking at what the people who are winning are running and go with that :)

sorry im not much help on that one

If you find a good alignment shop they can do it for you. Luckily I have a friend with corner scales. Free corner balancing with a race alignment :)

If they do race setups (which a lot of places refuse to do, they only will align to factory specs) they should have corner balancing.

yep

pretty much a real performance shop (one that builds / tunes track cars) should have corner balancing scales and be able to do a race tuned alignment

if being used for street driving you might want to balance the car with a neutral bias (no sense balancing for a corner bias on regular roads)

you can also buy your own scales... but the setup is about 1000-2000
Longacre Racing Online -- Online Catalog

okay another question. I have been looking for a 4 corner rear strut tower brace but can't find one. I'm not even sure I am calling it the right name, but I have seen them on cars before and to me they seem like they would do more good than just a normal strut tower brace would do.

okay little update not much to update due to getting laid off at work. fortunely I still get a good deal on rims and tires....but anyways...I got my car back turns out it wasn't the intake manifold it was my exhaust manifold that had the crack I misheard him. Which is awesome because I have a 4-2-1 header waiting to be bolted on.

yeah shit happens. my friend's work is hiring and if not my dad is starting his own business. but I would like to avoid that if possible. so I'm not worried about work just enjoying the week or 2 off for now. figure out what is wrong with my car and bolt my parts on and get it ready. but thanks for all your help man.

kind of an off topic question but I don't wanna post a bunch of unneccesary threads...But anyways I have the chance to pick up LS Mesh irms for cheap with tires, should I go for that and not get the Enkei's? Or get the Enkei's and pass on the Mesh's

how much is "cheap" ??? and what were the enkei's again (too lazy to go back and look)

pics of the enkeis plz :) i have a set of old school enkeis in the garage waiting for some sandblasting. they're gonna be hot on my new rex.

I don't have any pics of the enkeis. they are the pkr's black six spoke. The ls webs are $200 and have tires the PKR's don't have tires and the cost is at like $450.

enkpkr.bm.ang.jpg

i would go with the LS mesh wheels

yeah those are the rims I was looking at. I don't know why but I like the look of them but for cost and looks I like the webs as well. I like having a mostly stock appearance to my car. Not to mention they would be a big upgrade over the steelies I am rollin on now.

Back