Want

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i want to know where the 60-odd horse that the zr-1 makes over this went

Anyone that wanted to really go that fast would just build something for a 1/10 of the cost.

You're missing the point. Going fast, and having a car you can drink tea in at 155mph are two different things. Porsches/BMWs/Audis/Mercs may be overpriced, slower than Z06's/CTSV's/ etc per/$, but they deliver something that Chevy and Cadillac can never deliver. Name, pedigree, fit and finish and the refinement of something that is designed to run all day at 100mph+.

Someone who might buy a CTS-V would never cross-shop an S6, E55, or M5 - and people who are die-hard German buyers would never even consider stepping foot in a Cadillac dealership, no matter how cheap the car is.

Sure, you could build a budget fast car - but what it makes up for in speed and stopping - it loses in comfort, stability and reliability. Drive a C6 Corvette, and then drive and S5, and you'll know what I mean. The Germans know how to do it.

I'm here to tell you. My Chevy Vega Cosworth, in acceleration and engine performance makes a 911 feel like you're on ether. The handling isn't as tight in the chassis, but it's still less cumbersome to put into a corner.

But it's not a 911.

(And yes, the Cosworth totally houses the 911 3.2 Carrera)

You're missing the point. Going fast, and having a car you can drink tea in at 155mph are two different things. Porsches/BMWs/Audis/Mercs may be overpriced, slower than Z06's/CTSV's/ etc per/$, but they deliver something that Chevy and Cadillac can never deliver. Name, pedigree, fit and finish and the refinement of something that is designed to run all day at 100mph+.

Someone who might buy a CTS-V would never cross-shop an S6, E55, or M5 - and people who are die-hard German buyers would never even consider stepping foot in a Cadillac dealership, no matter how cheap the car is.

Sure, you could build a budget fast car - but what it makes up for in speed and stopping - it loses in comfort, stability and reliability. Drive a C6 Corvette, and then drive and S5, and you'll know what I mean. The Germans know how to do it.
That's the thing though, people WILL cross shop these. My cousin who is now on a waiting list for this tested the RS4, M5, and AMG. He chose the V based off of the 2007 model. Yeah the refinement inside isn't as nice, but it's far from being poor, and not very much worse at all, it's almost a moot point. (All of this info is based off the current gen, as the 2009 we haven't seen yet. Also, the RS4 has the nicest interior of the bunch, hands down.)

i want to know where the 60-odd horse that the zr-1 makes over this went
The ZR1 uses the LS9, this has the LSA which is a detuned LS9. As far as what's different? I don't know, but I'm guessing cam/intake or cam/heads/intake.

...and a comfortable full interior with all of the options found in your average Porsche, BMW, or Benz
I had you until the last line.

240sx, 5.3, th350 or T56, 300zx brakes, and cage it.

I watched this car be built from the ground up for 2800 bucks. It ran 12 second 1/4s off the bottle, it ate a 300zx TT in the curves and it goes from 70-0 in 112 feet.

Top speed was 191mph or so said the busa speedo, which is not the most accurate device to measure.

AND IT HAD CUP HOLDERS!:ph34r:

Back