Was I expecting too much?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kurt04

So in May I bought this '91 Civic hatch with JDM B16A swap, GReedy header, Tenzo catback and a cheapy CAI.

I've made a few passes at the strip and wasn't really impressed with the results, actually a little embarassed. Since then the car seems to be getting slower and slower, I dunno, maybe the new is wearing off.

I do have a few issues that have came about lately...
1. Sometimes when idling for a while, the oil pressure light comes on.
2. I can hear VTEC engage about 5200ish but doesn't seem to pull till about 6200ish. This isn't normal right? Could this be oil pressure related?
3. TPS connector was broken when I got the car, so I replaced the TPS. Now sometimes when I get into VTEC the CEL comes on with a code 7 (TPS)

Any help with these issues would be greatly apreciated.

Also, in your opinion, how "should" this car be in the quarter mile, with no issues?

check wiring with the TPS make sure thats all good. if so, id replace the tps. vtec is dependant on that signal.

next, check the oil and the solenoid's filter screen. make sure you are full on oil and that the oil screen isnt blocked (if its block vtec doesnt engage or it feels hesitant).

that car running right will probably run a mid 14.

1. Sometimes when idling for a while, the oil pressure light comes on.
this has the potential to destroy your motor
is the pressure sensor wire on there good?
do you have enough oil?
what weight oil are you running?
when's the last time you changed the oil?
what about the oil pump?
i would recommend an oil pressure gauge so you can see what its actually doing...

CEL = poor performance... fix the CEL

I have checked the oil and its fine. Last time I changed it (not even 1000 miles ago)I used Quaker State High RPM Synthetic. I'll check the wireing and the VTEC solenoid.

shit idk, i tried lookg for you but could not find it. just go to your local autozone or whatever and look in the book for your car. if i find the pins i'll lyk

erebunicrx said:
shit idk, i tried lookg for you but could not find it. just go to your local autozone or whatever and look in the book for your car. if i find the pins i'll lyk
I have a Hayes manual and it says it has to be checked by a dealer. Plus thats for a D-series.

hello every one look /\ he said that the oil light comes on at idle some times. this would be a direct indication that the thing needs new bearings. This is probaly why vtec isnt working it isnt geting enuff oilpressure to engage fully. If i was you i would not be driving this thing if the oil pressure light is coming on at idle and it has oil in it you are runing a chance of spining a bearing and messing up a rod crank and a you could even put a hole in the front of the block.

He's right. I'd check it before I drove it anymore. I'm sure you'd hate to have to yank the engine and buy another whole engine, rather than yank the engine and replace a few bearings.

Back