washing your engine?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civicspeed

I want to wash out my engine bay cuz its just flat out ugly when its all dusty and I wanted to know if you can just keep it running and spray it with a hose to get all the crap off? Or would this hydrolock the engine or somthing?

thanks

--Aidan

Cover the distributor, the air filter (if Exposed), and buy an engine cleaner spray. (engine bright found at pep boys or auto zone works best for me) and spray it all over the engine while its cool. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, and with a gentle spray of water, wash it off, start it, and let it idle for 10 minutes. (Dont spray too much water over the spark plug holes, if water gets in the holes, the engine will start to shake do to the water). Its quite Simple really!!

i actually did this last night, i went to wal-mart picked up some cheap ass degreaser for 87 cents a can soaked the engine bay and underneath the hood down with it and then rinsed it off, id maybe reccomend covering your valve cover because some of the black wrinkle paint is now coming off.

Originally posted by MXDesa@Sep 17 2003, 09:15 PM
and spray it all over the engine while its cool. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, and with a gentle spray of water, wash it off, start it, and let it idle for 10 minutes.

You're actually supposed to warm the engine up first, THEN spray the stuff and let it soak on for like 10 minutes, then rinse it off with the hose.

It probably depends on the stuff you use. I've used Foamy Engine Brite, and it specifically says to use it on a cool engine.

Also, I'd let the car sit in the sun with the hood open for 15 minute to let some of the excess moisture evaporate away.

use Purple Power degreaser available at wal-mart. it comes in a gallon jug like anti-freeze. that stuff works great for cleaning your engine, and it won't leave behind a noxious odor. its basically a stronger version of simple green.

BTW, if you don't want baked-in water spots, clean the engine when its cold.

i use citrus engine degreaser. works great and recommends cold engine. for a few days after you use the stuff the whole car smells like citrus... smells decent also.

Back