Wastegate dump

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

bigy34

I got a civic b20 turboed anyways its got a waste gate dump on it, but i hat it because the car always stinks inside, do i need to do anything special to tie it into the down pipe?

have a hole drilled into your down pipe, and have the drump pipe welded where the whole is drilled. like thats how it's supposed to be

thats kinda what i figured just didnt know if there was any thing else i needed to do but guess not, thanks

imo it is better to just dump it to the atmosphere......... just have the dump tube running down where it dumps under the the car.

If you're going to merge it back into the exhaust, do it as far away from the turbo as you can. That way you're not creating turbulence early in the exhaust flow.

If you're going to merge it back into the exhaust, do it as far away from the turbo as you can. That way you're not creating turbulence early in the exhaust flow.

and/or make it enter as close to the direction of exhaust flow as possible, don't come in a 90* with a "T"

good advice here, im going to recirc mine but it is going to be dumped into the downpipe as far back as possible.

honestly I have no idea if there is any gains from having it dump into the exhaust, I think it may just make it so you don't smell anything

yeah and you eliminate the open wastegate sound
i really hate the sound of the wastegate opening up

just dump it to the floor or run the dumptube outside the car itz better then having to fabricate ur downpipe and mess up ur exhaust flow if u dnt do it rite but thatz just my opinion

+1 basically turbulance= decreased back pressure flow. makes it harder for the turbo to get the exhaust out= increased heat

Last edited:
I ment the wastegate dumping right back into the exhaust stream right after the turbo will cause turbulance decreasing exaust velocity and increasing EGT's, assumed that its dumping in a "T" form, a 90 angle from the exhaust pipe itself

-Seen it happen before on a couple supras and one evo @ the performance shop I used to work at
just an FYI for bigy34

Last edited:
:thumbsup:

Anyone who dumps additional exhaust into the main stream through a "T" really doesn't understand anything about flow...

honestly i have no idea if there is any gains from having it dump into the exhaust, i think it may just make it so you don't smell anything
dont remember the link... But i have read where they did lots of test on and off the dyno and they said its all ways better to vent to atmos. And not into the exaust.....

Back