wastegate info

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

darwins_vtech

I have a manifold made for an t3 turbo and external wastegate. I have a new garrett t3 turbo on the way along with an internel wastegate connected. Now when I want to get a externel wastegate, which will be before the install, what do i all need to get with the wastegate. there is a flange is already welded on the manifold. will the wastegate bolt right up to that with a simple gasket or sealer between them or is there another piece that needs to be put between there?? I was looking at a tial 38mm wastegate. does this go the same way for a blow off valve? thanks

Darin

frankly, you can't.

if the turbo is internally gated, you're stuck with that.

if your manifold has a flange for an external WG, weld or screw on with no leaks a blocking plate.

the shop i bought it from, said that if i want, i can take the internal wastegate off, and then use the external port. They even showed me one with an external wastegate. I was told, it unbolts from the side and then the down pipe just bolts on where the wastegate was. It looked fine. But if i have to use the internal wastegate, how do i adjust that for amount of boost, or is that have to do with the boost controller? thanks again

Darin

im pretty sure if they welded the internal flapper shut, you can run the turbo with an external wg. or if you dont plan on turning up the boost too much, have a machine shop make you a plug to bolt onto your manni and just use the internal wg.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Mar 4 2004, 01:47 AM

if the turbo is internally gated, you're stuck with that.

Not really. Just don't connect the signal line to the internal WG and run an external WG. The internal unit will stay closed.

if your manifold has a flange for an external WG, weld or screw on with no leaks a blocking plate.

Like I did:
turbo-done.jpg

downpipe.jpg

That's right, bitch. Bowtie powah! Represent.

Bonus pic:

intercooler.jpg

You guys need to learn about wastegates more....

You have at least 2 options.

One was mentioned above. SOMEHOW, close off the wastegate port, wether by a blocked off flange, or a different exhaust housing, or weld the flapper shut, or jsut leave the actuator there and leave the WG unplugged from a vacuum source. Then you can put the WG before the turbo, on any style manifold set up for an external WG.

Simple.

OR

You can remove the flapper valve and the actuator and have a separate AFTER turbo pipe welded onto a two port outlet flange. Lemme see if I can find a pic. Basically you're leaving the stock Internal WG port wide open, and stopping the gasses with the external WG after the turbo.

Here's an example flange picture. The smaller port is the WG outlet, the larger is the DP port. If you put the wastegate AFTER the turbo, it regulates boost just like an internal gate, just a good bit more effectively, and reliably. :)

flange-tdo5-turbineoutlet.jpg

Back