Wastegate needed?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brianfg

This question may sound a little vague, but I was wondering if you still need a wastegate at high boost psi. I'm thinking around 30 to 40 psi. Obvously, I am going the have the engine reworked, and may decide not to go that high, but if I do, I can't seem to find any wastegates rated for over ~22 psi. Does this mean that one isn't needed when your setup uses this amount of boost. Thanks in advance.

You always need a wastegate. Otherwise, the turbine will just keep spinning faster and faster until it fries itself. Look harder if you want to find high-pressure WG's. BTW, what the fuck are you going to need 30-40 pounds of boost for?!?!?!

:newbie:

Holy ignorant fool batman!

1. Why the fuck would you need more than 22psi in a honda? You might as well throw a hand grenade or three under your hood.

2. PSI means next to nothing. Shoot for HP not PSI!!!

3.Seriously, 40 PSI is more than any (i'm pretty sure, correct me if i'm wrong) ANY RACE honda is using, let alone a streetable car. Yes darton sleeves are rated for something like 50 PSI but that doesn't mean that you can actually run that much boost. It wouldn't spool until 7000 RPM...and then it would be time to shift half a second later.

I hope a shop is doing all your work because your complete inexperience and lack of knowedge on the subject of FA is kinda scary.

i cant even think of any common turbo thats in its effective range at 30-40 psi..

Pre '00 Caterpillar engines used wastegateless turbochargers and pushed upwards of 60 PSI. Hell, cruising down the road at 50 MPH, they were pushing about 35 PSI. Now, Caterpillar uses wastegates on their turbos, but still run the same boost pressures.

all bullshit aside-

regardless of which turbo you use, and whether or not its out of its efficiency range, electronics on a honda will top you out before the turbo does 90% of the time.

the oem 2-bar map is good for ~ 10psi.
the GM 3-bar map is good for about 26-27 psi.

aem ems can use a 3.5 bar map, or a 5-bar map. both are rare as hell, and are limited in their accuracy due to their extended range, and thus, nominal change in voltage per psi.

A tail 46mm wg will suport 30+ psi.

having a street car that uses one, priceless.

40mm is as big as you need to go on a street car.

if you need to run 30 psi to make power, your turbo is simply too smal..

Back