Wastegate or BOV, or both?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
Ok, so I understand how they both work. They both work differently, so this raises the question, which one is more effective on a low-boost application?

I'll be using a FMIC'd T25 in my EJ9 civic. (link in signature)

I'm planning on a recirculating BOV, to let the turbo free-spin instead of surge. If I do this, I need a wastegate, right?

If I use an atomsphere-vented BOV, then can I get away without using a WG?

more the likely the t25 will have a internal wastegate installed, wastegates release exhaust pressure. the wastegate is required

I dont know what manifold your using but most will have a external flange for the wastegate, if your planning on using the internal wastegate your going to need to use a block off plate on the flange. If you want to bypass the internal wastegate and use a external you will need to take off the exhaust side of the turbo and weld the wastegate plate open

the bov is also required, because it will release the pressure in the charge pipes when you close the throttle plate.

also I would vent to the atmoshpere

the bov is also required, because it will release the pressure in the charge pipes when you close the throttle plate.

Not required... But I would use one if you want your turbo to last.

Back