Wastegate-tuning-turbo info

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

INJEN78

HS LEGEND
ok so i know the basic of going turbo..but what is confusing me is the wastegate part..so here goes
1.are wastegates universal??im getting a kit,but it needs downpipe and wastegate,the manifold is obviously for an external..

2.say im going to boost 8psi-what determines the 8psi??is it the spring in the wastegate??and with that being said,if im boosting 8psi do i get an 8lb spring?

3.tuning-everyone says get it tuned,my car is obd-0 and im not converting to obd1 for awhile,,so what do i do??​

There are different sizes of wastegates. For example, some manifolds are flanged for a 35 or 38mm wastegate, some for 40, 44, etc.

The spring inside the wastegate represents the lowest amount of psi you can run, so for example if you had a 6 lb spring you wouldnt be able to run 5 psi. Boost controller regulates it from there.

As for your tuning issue, I'm not 100% sure, someone else will have to help you there.
Who knows. I dont know anything about obd0.

Good luck, hope this helps.

^awesome thanx for the info..so basically i just figure out the mm of wastegate it holds and get that...and for the spring,im not going over 10psi right now..ill probably stay at 8-9,,so what do you recommend i get?

a small 8psi spring like stock DSM 1-2g turbo u can find small crushed springs they crush it so it run very low boost...

and OBD-O tuning i say call up your local performance shop or ebay for a blank chip then buy it.have some one socket it for you then go get it tuned or u can go with Hondata and go that route (IM WARNING U HONDATA IS NOT CHEAP) hondata is best but u dont need it..

a small 8psi spring like stock DSM 1-2g turbo u can find small crushed springs they crush it so it run very low boost...

and OBD-O tuning i say call up your local performance shop or ebay for a blank chip then buy it.have some one socket it for you then go get it tuned or u can go with Hondata and go that route (IM WARNING U HONDATA IS NOT CHEAP) hondata is best but u dont need it..
i dont get what yoursaying about the spring,,,but i know hondata isnt cheap,,,i have GReddy E-manage hooked up to the car,,can they tune it through there??

external wastegates like tial have interchangeable springs, when choosing a spring think about it like this, if you want to run 8 psi use a spring set for 4 psi, your wastegate will open sooner, but its safer this way. If you use a spring thats too heavy you will get boost creep or your boost control could give out resulting in a spike in boost that could be devastating on a stock motor. Also you boost numbers will never reach more then double the pressure from your spring.

internal wastegates are set for the turbo that they are on from the factory, there is no way to increase a stock wastegates pressure unless you bend the actualators arm and rig up a spring compressor to increase the pressure on the arm

as far as tuning goes get a missing link, fmu, fuel pressure regulator, and afc hack if you don't want to convert to odb1,

external wastegates like tial have interchangeable springs, when choosing a spring think about it like this, if you want to run 8 psi use a spring set for 4 psi, your wastegate will open sooner, but its safer this way. If you use a spring thats too heavy you will get boost creep or your boost control could give out resulting in a spike in boost that could be devastating on a stock motor. Also you boost numbers will never reach more then double the pressure from your spring.

internal wastegates are set for the turbo that they are on from the factory, there is no way to increase a stock wastegates pressure unless you bend the actualators arm and rig up a spring compressor to increase the pressure on the arm

as far as tuning goes get a missing link, fmu, fuel pressure regulator, and afc hack if you don't want to convert to odb1,
ok so if i get a spring for 4 psi would i still be boosting at 8-9 psi???the wastegate is external,so im not worried about the whole set from factory thing,
but will they be able to tune through the e-manage??it has boost option

whatever spring you deside to go with your boost pressure is good for double the spring pressure, but you will not get more then double

ok so 4-5..now i started researching boost creep,i know what it is, but how do i eliminate it??or is it nothing to worry about with a stock motor,with only small psi?

boost creep is usually caused by have to large of a spring inside the wastegate or by having too small of a down pipe coming off the turbo, if you get boost creep its from not getting the air out of the motor as fast as your putting it in. It is a very bad for the turbo and it can cause the turbo to spin backwards and blow out the oil rings. also it can have very negative effects towards your motor

lol ok after more research im even more confused...do i have to get larger injectors,fuel pump,and all that??

yes depending on how much boost you are running, 440cc or dsm 450cc will be enough for arround 16 psi. as far as fuel pump get a walbro 255 lph

as far as your injector clips go I think you have a resistor box so the dsm 450cc might bolt up if not you will need obd1 injector clips

well this motor will not see anymore than 10psi...im probably going for 8---and yea i do have a resistor box,but i dont have the cash to buy a new fuel pump,so will stock work??
im trying to keep this to bare minimum so i can spend the rest on the tune..
so ae injectors a must,fpr a must and all that

if your saving for a tune then get a obd1 p06 if non vtec, p28 if vtec get it slotted and chipped, 0bd0 to obd1 wiring harness and leave it up to your tuner to tune with chrome, chrome pro, uberdata, turboedit or other free programs, also get some dsm 450 cc from a turbo eclipse, I wouldnt use the stock fuel pump, go to the tunertoys website you can get a walbro 255 for $80

forget the fmu, fpr, missing link, and hack. Its not the safest way to tune

getting you fuel maps changed on the computer is so much better and you will make more power per pound of boost and its so much safer

Yes you need larger injectors, I'd recommend manual DSM injectors, research about the resistor situation with them. I used them and added resistors to my stock harness.

Convert to OBD-1, obd1 is much more versatile and has many options in the tuning department. Crome is free and is widely used, but ask your tuner what he is comfortable with. Maybe he has expertise in OBD0 tuning.

Get the Walbro fuel pump, they're not that expensive

high pressure or lower pressure fuel pump?
but this is going to take longer than i thought,,cuz i rlly dont have extra cash to play with,,
:(

Back