Water in spare tire compartment. PLZ HELP

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

engineswap5

Hey guys, so my 91 ef is leaking water in the rear section of the car.
I have been told the water comes threw the body seams under all the trim in the back.:(

So i took all the trim out,seats etc etc. sure enough its soaked behind all the trim, its defenetly where the water is comeing from.

Have any of you guys ever encountered this problem? How did you go about fixing it?

Thx for the help.:p

ha ha! the imfamous water leak in the back. yeah this is a doozie. well there are numerous places that the leak can come from.
1.check weater stripping/seal around the back half of the car, windows,hatch, etc. if its damaged that could be the source.
2.sun roof. if you have one also check the seals/ stripping. it also has drain tubes under the headliner,unlikey but it could happen that the clamps on the hose came undone, or the tubes have a hole in them. check it out anyway.
3.the two black trim pieces on top of the roof . this is what happen to my car. over time, water finds its way in between the trim and the roof and rots(rust) away the metal until there is a hole or holes. what you can do is take the headliner off and if your out in the sun look for the sunlight shinning in. or pour a cup of water on each side of the trim and see if it leaks thru. if thats where it leaks, you will have to take the trim off and repair the rusted thru hole with sandpaper, a rust preventer paint and bondo or a metal filler.
hope this points you in a direction you need to be going. peace

I 2nd the dry rotted tail light gaskets.

Hey guys, so my 91 ef is leaking water in the rear section of the car.
I have been told the water comes threw the body seams under all the trim in the back.:(

So i took all the trim out,seats etc etc. sure enough its soaked behind all the trim, its defenetly where the water is comeing from.

Have any of you guys ever encountered this problem? How did you go about fixing it?

Thx for the help.:p

i 3rd the tail light gasket. i used a rubber gasket from homedepot. much cheaper and it works.

Back