Water Pump

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

My gf's brother has a civic and its water pump took a dump. He called me and a mechaine quoted 800 bucks! The part itself is only like 30-40 bucks, but how hard can it be to charge 800 bucks?

Yeah, that was the first thing i had to replace on my Lude (got to it too late, and blew the H23 the next day). You think to yourself....800...for one part....no way, but there is a lot to it...insane write up...that should be linked in a how to or something.

It is fairly involved. Still, I wouldn't pay any grease monkey 800 bucks to do it.

You should change your timing belt while you are there.. Usually its the other way around, change the timing belt and change the water pump while you are at it. It won't take any extra time at all.

oh...umm, forgot to say how much...no more than $400...i paid 350 for mine, but the guy was a friend of the family.

thanks guys! i was thinking friggin 800 is way TOO much. anyway, i know someone else that can do it. he says its pretty easy but a lot of stuff to take out. raditor and hoses for room and taking off the belts, then us an impact wrench to take it out and replace pump. probably do it for like 200 but knowing him he might do it for a 12 pack of corona. did a swap for a 30 pack of budlight.

GREASE MONKEY?? who are you kidding, i hate that term and personally take offence to it being a licenced TECHNICIAN myself, grease monkey may have fit the profile when every car had a fuckin 350 in it and pair of wheels. but unfortunately kids, cars get more electronically advanced every year, i spend more time in a day fixing wiring and diagnosing electronic parts than i do pulling anythying with grease even on it. so get a clue and when the next person makes a post that says "MY VTEC WONT WORK" then take it to a grease monkey.

water pump is about 120 from honda
t-belt is about 65-75

its about 5 hours of book labor @ 75/hr

thats 570 right there

add coolant, cleaners, rags, etc etc... and you're STILL not close.

so, it sounds like they are raping you hardcore.

its a 2 hours job, tops...

you can do it yourself for under 200 bucks.

Ive been thinking about going in the business of replacing radiators...really. I had one replaced in my protege (before i knew the difference between a ratchet and a chisel) and it cost me 750 bucks. All my friends radiators keep blowing, and now i know that its like 250 bucks to change it. They come to me telling me they paid 800+ to have it replaced (auto trans).......its less than an hour job and they paid 800 bucks to have it done....why am i not doing this!!?

God i love the car business.

Back