Water Pumps

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

slate55

IS there a difference between the b16,b18,b20 water pump in the flow. Do any flow more than another because I am building a b20 vtec with a block brace and I was told that it will restrict water flow. I know to use b'x' timingbelt with a b'x' waterpump. Anything you can think of will be helpful.

Get a VTEC water pump and timing belt (B18C or B16 water pump and B18C timing belt).

that water pumps do not flow anymore...

you can use a non-VTEC water pump.. i am using an LS h20 pump and LS timing belt for my ls/vtec. the oil pump def. use a VTEC one

Internally the pumps are the same. However the non-vtec pump has a smaller gear, therefore it will have more rpm, giving you more water movement. I have used both. It didnt matter. Just for theoretical sake I now use the VTEC pump and belt. I would assume that honda uses the vtec style pump on vtec motors because the motors spin more, and they dont want that little extra drag on the engine. Like I said though it doesnt matter, use what you got.
I talked to "Chris Sharma" at the last race here in Pheonix, he dynoed before and after with a electric water pump and swore it made, zero hp.

You're not going to make more power with the VTEC water pump/timing belt. The VTEC pump spins a little slower due to the larger gear on it. This makes the VTEC pump cavitate at higher RPM than the LS pump. THe LS pump flows more coolant at lower RPM because it was not designed to see 8000 RPM. I am not saying that it can't handle it as I have seen evidence to the contrary, I just play it safe and use the pump that was geared for an 8000 RPM redline.

waterpump.jpg

www.aebsracing.com

ah, that would be a much better alternative, you are supposed to see gains of 5-7hp from the electric water pump.

Milan

Back