water temp sender

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

eg6sir

Supa Mod
VIP
alright.. i'm installing a aftermarket water temp gauge and i'm wondering where the sender goes.. if anyone has a pic that shows me then that would be great..

should be on the end of the head below the distributor - has 1-wire connector

dont listen to him he obviously didnt read the word AFTERMARKET IN YOUR POST. you can put it in the radiator hose with an adaptor like the one hasport sells for 30 bucks or you can tap it in where the radiator hose meets the head like gsrcrx did here.
gallery_1242_496_17607.jpg

no because you cant replace your stock one with this one unless you want to throw a code.

there has got to be way around it.. .. it will just give me a CEL right?? i just had my car smogged so that doesnt matter, i can always switch it back if needed

Quoted post[/post]]
there has got to be way around it.. .. it will just give me a CEL right?? i just had my car smogged so that doesnt matter, i can always switch it back if needed
it won't give you a CEL - there is no CEL code for the water temperature gauge - the engine coolant temp code 6 is code for the sensor for the ECU - it is the other sensor on the end of the head with 2-wire connector - what kind of gauge is it?

right there is no cel for a water temp gauge but if you disconnect that plug from the factory harness there will be.

just do it the right way not the half ass way, I gave you 2 examples of easy ways to do it.

Dude, plug it into the Single wire connector and put the connector back on it.
Mine works fine like that.. don't need to tap shit or go cutting shit.

Quoted post[/post]]
its an Autometer Pro comp ultra light..
came with sending unit, correct? you need Autometer Part No. 2268 metric adapter which screws into the head in place of the OEM sensor and the Autometer sending unit screws into it - the sending unit won't screw directly into head because of different thread size - i have installed many of these and you won't get CEL

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
came with sending unit, correct? you need Autometer Part No. 2268 metric adapter which screws into the head in place of the OEM sensor and the Autometer sending unit screws into it - the sending unit won't screw directly into head because of different thread size - i have installed many of these and you won't get CEL
:confused:
Or you can do it the easy way.
Strip 1.5inches of the wire, stick it into the little black single connector, plug it back in... yay.

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Strip 1.5inches of the wire, stick it into the little black single connector, plug it back in... yay.
Autometer gauges will not work with the OEM sending unit - this is quote from Autometer:

"Electrical temperature and pressure gauges require the use of a sender matched for the type of gauge in use; the stock sender will only work with the stock gauges. Auto Meter gauges are designed to work with the Auto Meter sender that is included with the gauge."

Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Quoted post[/post]]
Autometer gauges will not work with the OEM sending unit - this is quote from Autometer:

"Electrical temperature and pressure gauges require the use of a sender matched for the type of gauge in use; the stock sender will only work with the stock gauges. Auto Meter gauges are designed to work with the Auto Meter sender that is included with the gauge."
My Faze gauge said the same thing :huh: so i tried it anyways... works fine?
I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's worth a shot to try it the easier way first. (like i did)
I might even still have the sender unit for it in my trunk...

Quoted post[/post]]
if you disconnect your stock gauge do you know what normal engine temperture is for your motor?
my stock gauge is broken.. the needle broke off. ..

and no i dont know what the normal operating temp is...

so.. if anyone know the normal temp for a b16 then please share

Back