watercooled? overclocked? linux? server? folder? what?!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

more changes LOL

changed the PVR-150 out for a PVR-500 dual tuner.
water cooled the vid card with a dtek gfx2 block
added 2GB ram, total of 4GB DDR3

currently folding on the video card and the processor (dropped the clock to 3.6). pushing about 8000PPD with this setup. and i have a second x16 slot open as well. i may see if i can squeeze 2 9800GX2's in there for some nice PPD for folding.

Nice setup! I dont know if it still is your background, but the firewater glass is my background at work haha.

yea its a rocketfish case. hard to come by now.

no gx2 yet, but ive thought about it for folding purposes. 8800gt holds me over for pretty much everything. ive recently been more into gaming (CSS, Bioshock, Crysis) if i got another vid card for that it would prob be the GTX260 core 216.

oohh okay thats what i thought since that card in the picture looks way to small for a 9800gx2. so that still beats the new cards in terms of folding and such? i thought the new gtx ones would be faster since it has more transistors. anyway :thumbsup:

yea, the new GTX cards do give better PPD, but not as much as you would think. i get like 4500 PPD from my 8800GT, but a GTX280 only gets like 6000-6500. whereas a 9800GX2 would get ~10000

craziness.. i know they are sticking 4 of those gx2s and calling it a supercomputer for protein folding and MRI machines.

Pretty case, but IMHO my Stacker owns all :D

cmstacker.jpg

23"x 9"x 21.2" = MASSIVE

you could probably fit a couple of chinese acrobats in those.

seriously, i probably wouldnt be able to lift any of those two if they were fully loaded with a water cooling system, hard drives and multiple gfx cards.

you could probably fit a couple of chinese acrobats in those.

seriously, i probably wouldnt be able to lift any of those two if they were fully loaded with a water cooling system, hard drives and multiple gfx cards.

The Stacker is 35 pounds EMPTY.

yea my case easily weighs like 75 lbs lol. but empty its VERY light, being that its all alluminum.

but ive gotten bitten by the game bug. never thought i would, but i have. i picked up my 6th HDD. another 320GB IDE drive. divided into a 100GB windows partition for games, and a 200GB partition for DVR storage. then i have my other drives, another 320 for the linux OS, and 4x500GB drives for DVD storage. but i think im going to consolidate those for 2x1TB drives, maybe 3x750's, depending on price. i definitely want more drive space in a smaller package. im already planning a new vid card. the 8800GT is great bang for the buck, but i need better performance in crysis, lol. ill probably go with the 260GTX core 216. the version with 216SPs. should be sweet.

ive also picked up a SWEET keyboard mouse solution for the frontend. before i would just take my wireless keyboard and mouse from the backend out to the living room, but the range sucks balls so i always had to sit real close. i do have a media center remote for the living room, but it doesnt help me when im at the desktop or at the terminal. plus moving my keyboard and mouse back and forth just got lame anyway. so i bought the keyboard/touchpad combo made by logitech for the PS3. its bluetooth. so i bought a tiny USB bluetooth adapter and it tucks behind the front panel nicely. all i had to do was download the bluetooth package and edit some config files and it worked perfectly. i was worried bacause its made for the PS3 and not a PC, but it works all the same. and having the touchpad all in one is really handy. its kind of like your setup sabz. its called the MediaBoard Pro. whole setup with the KB and BT adapter was like 60 bucks. not bad :)

heres it is Newegg.com - Logitech Cordless MediaBoard Pro for PS3

man, you guys are seriously so lucky. i hope to build one of those media centers soon and upgrade my rig to nehalem or shanghai, depending on price/performance.

yeah ive read that those gtx are now actually worth what nvidia is charging with every driver release. i love the new set that enable physx on the 8xxx series and up. you can definately tell on games that use that engine.

keep us posted.

update lol

well recently i upgraded some hardware and figured it was time to upgrade and expand my loop a little. like many people i bought a RF case when they were cheap, only paid 50 bucks for it so i had no problems cutting it all up. and with a case as huge as the RF case, i wanted to have everything internal.

so i started out with a MCR320 up top like most people do and with an MCP350 pump w/ petras top it was cooling my CPU and 8800GT just fine. well i picked up a GTX 280 and figured i'd expand my loop a bit to account for the extra heat. so in came a Laing D5 pump and an MCR220 rad but there wasnt a good place for it stock. so i decided to cut out a hole for it in the bottom. i had to remove the 3.5" bays but oh well, i wasnt using them anyway. i also had to cut the floor out of the 5.25" bays as the rad was too tall with the tubing fittings. again its no big deal to lose 1 5.25" bay.

i spent a good deal of time thinking out placement and parts. the GTX 280 has the Dtek unisink and the GFX2 waterblock (recycled form the 8800GT). this is a great combo, and ive very happy with the looks and functionality. i also decided to use 38mm 2000 RPM Scithe fans on the 220 not only for better cooling, but also to help even out the airflow since i have 4 relatively low CFM fans pulling air out. case pressure is probably slightly negative. i also used 7/16" tubing and it was a PITA to install but i found using some hand soap as lube helped alot, especially on the plastic fittings. i probably didnt even need the zip ties with how tight everything was, but it made me feel better having them, im even missing a couple lol.

here's some pics. let me know what you think! (yes i know wires are messy but its the best i could do with this case and the amount of components installed, although it could be worse)

i get about P13000 3DMark vantage score (is that good?)

100_0143.jpg

100_0141.jpg

100_0147.jpg

enjoy. and :ph34r:

Sweet Jesus that is awesome! You can try hiding the wires behind the mobo try. My CM690 has a cutout near the bottom of the PSU and i routed all my wires through there and electrial taped and zip-tided them all down. It still looks like crap though. Its an art. Otherwise looks solid man. Id probably get a kill-watt or something to see how much your stuff is actually drawing because you got a lot of high end stuff and fans. Im not sure that earthwatt can handle it, especially with the new gfx card.

Btw, interested in selling the 8800gt?

Back