Web designers and web merchants

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

totalburnout

VIP
Where did you get your start?

Where did you find reputable resource material to help design and launch websites/e-commerce sites?

Looking to start up two websites. One website being an e-commerce site that I would ultimately look to have virtually zero start up cost through using open source software, but problem #1 is I don't know how to design/code and problem #2 is that I've only consulted on e-com sites and never actually run/built from scratch.

Disclaimer: I know how to use the search feature. I know how to use Google :mad: The results have become too cluttered and I'm looking for information from people who have actually been through the experience before.

B, you should be able to help in a fairly clear cut manner on this idea.

What kind of products are you looking to sell? physical? drop ship? electronic? services?

The hardest part of ecommerce is payment and transaction. Basically, you won't be big enough to require a merchant account, so you will have to use a payment processor which will take a cut of sales + monthly fee depending on volume.

What kind of products are you looking to sell? physical? drop ship? electronic? services?

The hardest part of ecommerce is payment and transaction. Basically, you won't be big enough to require a merchant account, so you will have to use a payment processor which will take a cut of sales + monthly fee depending on volume.

The product is a moot point but the e-com site would likely be electronics and car accessories. Fairly brutal market, but a family member has been in the industry for 10+ years and should have a good relationship with large vendors at this point. Looking to help him while gaining experience.

The shipping is a non-issue. Transportation is my living, so distribution will be the piece that I have all the experience in of this equation.

In terms of payment, I understand the swipe fees but through my customers and contacts within my company, I have multiple options that I can shop. The actual brick and mortar business is already configured for CC.

The business would be a blend of e-bay storefront and an independent website.

I'm looking at the Magento product suite because its open source and some big names or currently using their software - 3M, Lenovo, Vizio

The product isn't a moot point due to the way different things sell things. Ie, if you were selling gift cards, or subscriptions, you'd want a different card platform than something that physically inventories and ships.

Magento is pretty good.

Back