Web of Trannies and Axles - Geez

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HernandezInc

Wassup Gang. I'm new to the forum in hopes of getting this sorted out. We begin with the facts. I have a 91 Si Hatch with a stockrappy D16a6 (Thank God it just died). So of course I'm swapping for a JDM B16a OBDO (4th Gen). My question is: Can I mate the SI (L3) tranny to the JDM B16a 4th Gen engine by replacing the B16a flywheel with the D16a6 flywheel? I'm trying to get away with murder here only cuz I just put in a new ACT stage II clutch and pressure plate and rebuilt L3 tranny in the darn thing barely a month before it died and I loved the clutch. I also hear that Si trannies are the way to go when looking for faster acceleration. So, do the L3 trannies mate to the B16a blocks? And; Will the D16a6 flywheel mate to the B16a crank? :blink:
Also, if I'm forced to ditch the L3; Does that mean I will have to get axles for the swap? or will the stock Si axles fit the B16a? I have a few sets so I'm hoping I can keep them. (But somehow I know what the answer will be).
Your feedback here is appreciated.

You'd need a flywheel spacer(that's if the flywheel is the same bolt pattern to begin with, which im guessing it is), and a adapter plate because I don't think the transmission bolt patterns are the same.

What a guy did down here to put a B16 transmission on his H22 was have the "flange" part from the H22 cut off, then the flange from the B16 cut off; then weld the H22 flange to the B16 transmission. This eliminated the need for a spacer, but he has never pushed it so I don't know how strong it is.

the L3 transmission will not bolt to the B16 block - the D16 flywheel will not attach to the B16 crankshaft - the D16 flywheel has 6 attaching bolts - B16 has 8 - you need a B-series transmission which will require different axles

why in the world other then being a cheap ass would you do that?

Lighter transmission I believe. Bisi did something like this(except it is a Y8 transmission on a F22A engine).

yeah bisi did it and imagine his budget and group of technicians is a little bit better than what any of us could throw together.

Back