Wedding Planners?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Black Widow g2

*princess*
Ok, so... I know these things take forever to plan. I'm in the 'beginning' stages and I'm one of those people who needs to have events planned down to the moment and that's only to organize my thoughts... otherwise I'm quite spontaneous. Yes, I know that's a paradox. Anyway, on to my reason for posting this thread. All of you who have recently (or are in the near future) exchanged nuptials, I'd like to know how you planned and what your advice is for timelines and things. I've got a few ideas on places, but I do need help with general things like: where do I start? Do I book the reception site and ceremony first? How long do I wait to send invitations? I've been told they take a year to get into line. I have a year. Is there any advice you can offer me on what I should do to help me organize my thoughts? I'm going batty trying to make sense of it.

hire J Lo :D

having been in/attended 5 weddings in the past year or so........ here's the trends i've noticed.

"save the dates" usually go out 9-12 months in advance.
invitations go out about 2-3 months before, with rsvp 3-4 weeks before the wedding

bookins, i don't know much about, but i would go for the hall first. thats usually more aptly to be booked than the church

we're not doing it at a church, but i see what you mean. i basically am looking to set up a timeline so i have something to follow. i don't want to hire anyone because i'm good with aesthetics so I know what I picture. It's just that I don't know what to do first and really... I shouldn't pay someone 500 bucks an hour to tell me. :p

i would start off making a list of all the people you are going to invite, so you have a general idea about how many people will hopefully show. then i would look into chapels//halls that fit the size of your party. The next time you talk to people that you are planning on inviting, mention it and invite them so that they can plan ahead.That way you can get an rough head count, which will help you with the catering as well.

i dont know what you mean about "invitations getting in line" but we only had(have) 7 months to plan, invite, etc for my wedding so i hope it doesnt take a year :p . i heard about 3 months in advance is a good time to send out formal invitations.

to help organize your thoughts, make a list of all the things that need to be done, booked, arranged, etc. that way you can see progress, and what needs to be accomplished still.

if there are any wedding expo's coming around, i'd say deffinately go. my fiance, mom and her mom went to one and she ended up winning 2 free tux's, and a 2 (or 4, but i think it was 2) night stay at the excalibur hotel in las vegas.. not to mention all the photographers, dj's, caterer's, etc that you could ever need will be there.

oh, make sure you find a good dj, and sit down with him beforehand and start picking out what music you want him to play.

Last edited:
We took about a year to plan ours out. We are getting married in Sept and basically it went like this.

Got engaged 2/4/06 and within the first month had booked the reception hall and location.

Location - Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center - Madison, Wisconsin - in the west rooftop garden.

Reception - Home - Under construction

Then we basically chilled out for the next 8 months or so. We used theknot.com for a time line and it worked out pretty well. The main advice that I can give you is to know your area's trends and know what is going on the day you plan on getting married. For example it is not uncommon for places around me to book up a year in advance. We also had to deal with a home Wisconsin Badger football game which could have potentially be a major problem with hotels booking up. As it stands we have 35 rooms blocked off and should be fine.

Some other advice that I can give is to take your time and stay on top of what needs to be done. We sent our save the dates out in early March (6 months) so that people could plan their vacations because our wedding falls so close to Labor day. We also are making our Invitations, Save the dates, response cards and maps. We chose to do this because we felt that paying $7 for each invitation bundle was too much.

We also just booked our officiant (court judge) because we are getting married outside of a church and Catholic priests will only marry in a church. I would contact the officiant as early as possible even if they tell you to call back later atleast you know.

As for DJ's and florists make sure you check around and go look at their work if possible.

I am sure I missed alot but if you have question feel free to pm me or ask on the thread.

here is a link to our knot page

Your Wedding Webpage - The Knot

CHRIST ONLY 134 DAYS TO GO!!!!!

i eloped last time. hence i'm clueless this time. i'm thinking since we have a few people (and not a huge extended family) maybe we'd do it on a cruise. at one of the stops, do the wedding and be on our way to Tahiti for the honeymoon. However, that requires a lot of money. But, honestly, we'll only have 2 of our close friends, his mother, his grandmother, my mother, and my father. I think we could swing it. Thanks for all the help guys!

Back